THE OTHER BROTHER

THE OTHER BROTHER 
CHAPTER 43
NGCOBO 

Family members have been called out. Most of them will be arriving later this afternoon. The neighbors are already here helping MaNgcobo out. She is not meant to do anything. She is meant to sit on the mattress and welcome everyone that is coming by to pay their condolences. I may not have been the best son. But I know that our mother loved each other equally.  I want to clean my mother's bedroom; she has a lot of things under her bed. A knock on the door disturbs me. 
“Your kids are here.” One of the neighbors announced softly. I called them last night and I didn’t think that they would come. They showed no emotions anything whatsoever. I was starting to give up. Hearing that they are here gives a sense of relief. I wonder where Dumisa could be. I dust my hands on the overall that I am wearing and step out of my mother's bedroom making sure to close it. I don’t want anyone here. 
“They are both seated on one couch. MaNgcobo is seating on the mattress facing them. The atmosphere is thick. 
“Children. I am glad that you came.” I say sitting on the vacant chair. I am glad that it’s just only us here. 
“What happened?” Khanyi asks. My daughter looks so grown up and it scares me. Next thing she would be getting married. I hope that Gumede boy will treat my daughter well. I take a deep breath and explain the state we found my mother and their grandmother in. They are both quiet. 
“So, Gogona decided to leave without saying goodbye?” Khanyi. She is on the verge of crying. 
“I know how much she meant to you.” Thabi says rubbing her back. Her stomach is very huge for a person who is pregnant.
“You don’t understand. We were told to cut communication with her. If I knew she would leave us so soon I would have made sure to spend every little time I get with her. She was like a mother to me. A mother I never had.” She says. Tears gushing out of her eyes. MaNgcobo clears her throat. Khanyi stands up and walks out of the house. I assume for fresh air. I stood up to follow her.
“She needs her. Let her breath.” Thabi tells me. Her cold tone filled with menace sends shivers to my body. I shrink back down. “What is left to be done. Or shall I ask what is meant to be done. We could give a hand instead of sitting around doing nothing.” 
“I was about to clean her room.” A lump formed in my throat. Thabi nods her head then stands up. “We will take over from there. I believe you will be doing the manly duties.” 
“She is right. I need to be out with the other men. I was all alone trying to clean up here and there before everyone came. The girls did good by coming in this morning. 
“I appreciate you guys being here.” 
“That is what family is about. Being there with each other. Standing up for each. Not turning back on each other.”  
She walks past me and takes a deep breath. I don’t know what her statement meant but I do not love it one bit. Khanyi comes after some time talking on her phone. 
“Yes, we drove safely. “
She keeps quiet for a second and shyly smiles. “Ay wena. Impiyakhe is like a brother to me.” she says. She walks past me and continues to talk on her phone. So, Impiyakhe was the one that brought them here. It would have been nice if he notified me. I should have a word with him later on. He is not needed in my home, and he will mess up my great plan, of course. 
“The girls don’t even great now. Durban has turned them into something that they are not. I think it’s time they came back home.” 
“You should have thought about that the minute that they are left home. But clearly you were too busy to even notice anything. I don’t want to argue with you. I am too stresses.” I say and walk out leaving her shouting my name. I don’t understand the woman I married at times. I feel like I could just...
“Ngcobo.” 
I turned around and found one of the herd boys standing. 
“Mfana.”  
“I was asked to give you this.” He hands me a piece of paper. I grabbed it from his hand and read through. 
*I am coming for you. Once I am dome with you. You will wish you would have never messed with me*
I feel my insides turning. I look around trying to spot something out of the ordinary, but I see none. “Who gave you this?” I ask. 
“Some man driving a big black car with a scar on his face.” 
With that said he leaves me standing. I am thrown in a pit filled with bulls. I am swimming alone trying not to sink deep. I take a deep breath and shove the letter into my pocket. If that is a threat, then I am not scared. I need to call one of my guys to trace this. They might be able to find something. I took my phone and tried to make a quick phone call, but I was told that I had insufficient airtime which is very absurd. For this phone call, I can't call. Especially these kinds of calls. I need to go to town and see if the policy has paid out. I called this morning when I still had airtime and I was told they will investigate my request. I know with that money – I will be able to buy some personal stuff and to sustain myself until my funds are being released.