THE OTHER BROTHER

THE OTHER BROTHER
CHAPETER 16
THABISILE

Funny but yet annoying. Khanyisile can really act immaturely if she wants. Was it hard for her to inform us that she will be away for a few days. My father is livid to the core. I would have been too. One can’t just pack up and leave without noticing anyone in the family. What she did was stupid and insensitive of her. Here I was thinking that maybe I was behind the disappearance. All this while I have been cracking my head trying to find out what really went wrong. Kanti girly decided to pack up and leave just like that without any explanation. I have been feeling guilty for no reason because of her! The amount of sleepless nights I had because of her. Does she have any idea how hurt. I am sure she is carefree wherever she is. But this was definatly a stupid move and I do not condone it.
“Khanyisile will be the death of me. I don’t know how this stupid girl thinks.” My father hisses after the phone call he just received from one of his business  associates. Apparently Khanyisile has been spotted in our hometown in Mtubatuba galivanting with a man. What adds more vexation is that Babomncane is there holding her hand. I have never seen my father this livid. Whoever gave him this information surely added more to it. Who sends pictures as evidence? I fear the man I call my father.
“I’m sure there is a good explanation for her to just pack up and leave.” MaNgcobo says trying to turn down the flames. The flames seem to be building up even more. Ngcobo stops pacing up and down. I wish to get into that big head of his – just to track his thinking.
“Pack up, we are leaving.” Just like that he has spoken. This man seems to forget that we also have a life. I have work. Being the CEO does not mean that I get to do as I please. Now I will have to call Sthandiwe my PA and inform her to reschedule all of my meetings. This trip is sure going to be the death of me. I am not ready to see a World War three between my two fathers. Khanyi just started war between these men.
-
-
-
I texted Skhosane and informed him that I will not be available for the next upcoming days, and he understood. It’s up to him whether he will be in the office or wait for me. I informed him that Khanyi has been found and he told me that he was certain that she was okay wherever she is. I should have trusted and listened to hm when he told me. But I was too focused in the disappearance of my stupid sister. I feel like I could give her a good whip for her to wake up. That girl is too damn slow. I wonder how she made it in school. The drive is too silent and sour. No one is saying a word. I pull my earphones out of my bag and stash the in my ear. I would rather listen to music than listening to these tense breathings. Mtubatuba seems to be far. Already I want to be out of this car. I wonder if my grandmother still remembers me. I remember how she would wake up so early in the morning to make us that yellow porridge – they usually call it isijingi. I think Khanyisile did us all a favour by going home. When was I going to see that beautiful soul? I love my grandmother but the communication between the family is inferior. I don’t know why I am getting emotional. I start to get that feeling like home when I see a sign leading us to our homestead. Truth be told. I missed this placed, and I never realized how much I missed it until now. I think I judged Khanyisile way too early without hearing the side of her story. Something must have triggered in her emotions for her to be here. The gravel road – I smell the red soil. It’s refreshing and I am loving it. I pull my earphones out and take a deep breath. The yard looks clean and there is a black BMW in the yard. Don’t tell me that Babomcane has bought himself a car. A wide smile stretches on my face. There is nothing more I want other than being out of this car and being in my grandmother’s arms. My father finally parks the car next to the BMW. He steps out first and my mother follows. I am sure that Khanyisile is somewhere the yard. I step out as well I can hear giggles. I know that voice. I turn to look the direction and I see Khanyi and Babomncane holding hands. I gasp in shock. Looking at him makes me feel at home. I scream in excitement and throw myself in his arms. He hugs me back and spins me around. It hits – it’s now that I have just realised how much I have missed them.
“Mafungwase kaBaba.” He says in a shaky voice. He cups my face and kisses my forehead. I see his eyes getting teary…
“Baba.” I greet. He has changed a lot. Lost so much weight and has grown grey hair and yet he is younger than my father. He doesn’t look healty at all.
He inhales sharply and squeezes me with yet another hug. I feel at peace. I don’t want to let go. I see my grandmother slowly coming towards us. She smiles, her smiles have always been the best. I let go of my father and greet my grandmother.
“You are home.” She says. “Blessed child.”
“I am glad to be home.” Indeed I am. There is nothing as peaceful as being here.
-
-
-
“You don’t say.” I am listening to Khanyisile telling me why she decided to pack up and leave. I could vouch for her – my father can be an ass at times. My mother has become his pet, spotty for that matter.
“I just hate how father has just changed towards me. Even mum is not the same mother I know. Everything about them is just cold. I can’t wait to go to Durban and have a bit of fresh air.” She tells me. Somehow, I feel bad for her. I understand her reasons. These folks have been so caught up with work forgetting us in the process. This is how I felt when I was neglected.
“So, who is the owner of the car?” I decide to change the subject. A young man walks in with these hands in his pocket. I get lost in his eyes. He also looks at me without saying a word. He that body to dies for. Dark in complexion. Has a full-grown beard. Talk about a chocolate man. He nods his head acknowledging my presence, he shifts his focus to Khanyi.
“Will be going out. Do you need anything?” He asks her. I am shocked. Is this her man? Khanyisile still has a lot to tell me.
“Just soft drinks.” She responds to the man. The man walks out and hymns a song.
“Who is he?” I finally get to ask. She rolls her eyes and stirs the pots. “Come on girl I want to hear all of it.” I’m growing impatient.
“Will tell you once we are left alone. I have a lot to share with you. My life has been a final destination for the past days.” She tells me. Now I am much keener into hearing what she has to tell me. The food is ready – we dish up for the elders and serve them food. I decide to do the serving since Khanyi was doing the cooking. I was never and will never be good in the kitchen department. I walk up into a heated argument. My father is cursing his lungs out. I ease drop...
“Dumisa, you cannot take my kids away from me. I have worked hard for those kids.” That is my father. What is he talking about?
“The truth will be revealed. What is mine will be back to me. Khanyisa will fight for her kids. I am not rich like you, and I don’t bribe people…”
“Dumisa, that’s enough.” Grandma.
“The kids shall never know the truth; it will tear them apart.” Grandma. I feel my heart pounding in fear. What truth is grandma talking about? I think I have heard enough of their conversation. I put on a smile and pop up.
“Food is here.” I say. The conversations stops and they all glare at me. “I did not cook, Khanyi did just in case you were wondering.” Silence. Okay – I turn to leave.  My mind is racing with a lot of questions. Could it be possible that we…
“Your food is in the microwave.” Khanyi tells me bringing me back to life. I fake a smile. I don’t have appetite now. I still need to figure out what these people meant. I pull Khanyi by hand. I want to be far away from the house just in case one walks up to our conversation. I look around – great no one is in sight.
“I want you to think deep. I mean deep Khanyisile. Have you noticed something strange?”
“Strange how” My sister needs a wake-up smack I swear!
“Does a Khanyisa name ring a bell to you?” I ask. She pauses for a second and thinks. She shakes her head no. “Yey wena! I said think deep!” I didn’t mean to raise my voice. My sister frustrates me at times.
“Oho. I once heard Gogo and baba talking about her.”
We are getting somewhere. “What did they say about this woman. Come on I know you can use your brains.” I add.
“They said I look like her and I’m short like her.” She tells me. Who is this Khanyisa woman?
“Anything else I need to know?”
“uBaba has a farm but it was taken by our father I don’t know how.”
“What? When? How?” I am dismayed. Lack of words. We walk back into the house. Something huge is happening here and I will dig until I find something. Starting by fixing my father’s phone.

MANQOBA

A young man who is trying to make ends meet for his family. He never really wanted to be a part of this dangerous side hustling life. He studied Civil Engineering but jobs in South Africa are scares. He met Mkhuleko when he was still in varsity. That man paid for his studies when his mother failed. He was there when his family struggled financially. Manqoba’s priority was his younger brother and his mother who is unemployed. That woman worked hard for them – she made sure that they looked kike other kids. The struggle was bad, and he vows to never let his mother suffer under his watch. The suffering was too much but he had to man up. Later Mkhuleko offered him a job and he agreed. It was not his ideal job but non the less the dirty money putted food on the table. He was taught how to spy, hack, shoot in every rage. He decided to stick to the man and here he is today. He has a brother that he found on the streets. Loyalty is his language. He looks at the brown envelope. He has been doing  a lot of digging for the past few days. He is just afraid of the answers they have been looking for. In his mind he already knows but he wanted something in righting to confirm his suspicions. He tears the envelope and begins to read through…
“Holly smokes!” He whistles and shakes his head. He continues to read through and freeze for a moment. “Bingo!” Just like that. He has managed to locate the bloody untouchable Ngcobo. He takes his banner phone and dials the number…
“You won’t believe who I found.” He says playing with his car keys.
“Get to the point.” This man is a vey impatient man. Oh well…
“Ngcobo turns out to be your father-in-law.” He speaks. He can hear his breathing. Surely his pumping in rage. Now they are in a breathing competition.
“Get more. I want to know who he works with and every little detail that don’t make sense. And mfanakithi…”
“Yes.’
“Keep my tortoise safe for me.” He drops the line. Manqoba smiles briefly. This man is surely crazy. But he is right – it’s Khanyisile. He finds himself laughing out loud. His writs watch beeps. Whenever it beeps indicates danger! He cocks his gun and steps out of the car. Not wanting to scare everyone…
“Can everyone be in one room and lay flat on the floor.” He orders.
“Yin Mkhwenyane?” Gogo asks.
“Gogo, do as I say, and everyone will be safe.” Without waste Thabi stands up and helps her grandmother stand. She roughly pulls Khanyi who is still glued on the same couch. Her mouth is wide open with her eyes glued on the gun. Manqoba notices and decides to hide it behind him. Ngcobo stands – face to face with Manqoba.
“Who are you?” He asks through his greeted teeth.
“Your enemy. Take your wife and leave.” He tells him. MaNgcobo is already out of sight.
“I will find you and kill you.” He gives him a deadly stare. One more look at him he huffs and follows the others. Manqoba looks around searching for Dumisa.
“Shit!” he curses in frustration. Where could this man be? His watch beeps multiple times indicating the intruders are close. One deep breath and he throws himself to the lions. No back up – only his gun. He checks for the cost first before looking for the lost man. He finds him chasing the chickens behind the yard. He spots a head hiding behind the outside toilet. Without waste he aims for the head before the man shoots first. One down – not too sure how many left. Dumisa drops the chicken and makes a run. A fire being shot from another direction catching Manqoba’s attention. A loud scream – another gunshot being fired. Manqoba jumps to the rescue, he jumps in and lands on the ground with his back and begins to fire in all directions. Still on the ground he manages to shoot three men down. Silence fills up the air – it gives an unmistakeable smell, a strong sulfur-like smell. Smoky and peppery. The faint groan…
“Shit!” He listens for any movements but none. He stands up, tucks his gun behind and rushes to Dumisa who is laying flat on the ground. He checks for his pulse. Its faint. Too heavy to scoop up. He lifts his upper body and drags him towards the car. Not too sure where the bullets wounds are – Dumisa is bloody.  Thabi finally comes out – she doesn’t ask questions but helps. Khanyi comes out running. She freezes on the spot.
“No, no, no.” She shakes in fear.
Ngcobo also comes out from hiding. He tries pulling Khanyi back, but she is fighting. “Ngiyeke!” She screams and bawls out loud.
“Babana!” The whimper sob leaves Khanyisile’s mouth. Manqoba and Thabi finally manage get Dumisa in the car. Manqoba closes the door and hops in the driver’s side. He drives out of the yard in full speed hoping and praying that he gets to the hospital in time. He looks at his rear mirror and sighs. He will deal with Tortoise later on.