THE OTHER BROTHER

THE OTHER BROTHER 
CHAPTER 25

The atmosphere is tense. No one really knew that this was going to happen. I look at Khanyisile who has her eyes fixed on the road with her head leaning against the window. At some point I understand her reasons for being mad, if I may put it that way. I really don’t know how I would feel if Mkhuseli had to get married to one of my ex’s. Not just any ex. But some I loved dearly.
“Mkhuleko. I think we have company.” Manqoba tells me. These days we seem to be slopping a lot. I get that Khanyi is in the picture, and she is the reason for me to be falling behind. But I can't initially put the blame on her, but I am slacking a bit. I turn my head to look at the back and it’s indeed those stupid amateurs that work for her father. He sent those goons to finish what they started trying to do. He should take these bamboos for some training. They should ask Toti, she is coming along just fine. One can take me out that easily. I am a die by nature. Many had tried to take me down but look where I am today. Still breathing and living the proof of danger. 
“Pull over I say.” 
As much as Manqoba is reluctant eventually pulls over. 
“I have a bad feeling about this.” He says. Manqoba keeps stealing glances at me. 
I cock my gun and attempt to step out of the car. But Light holds me back by grabbing my arm. Her touch alone is weakening me. The look in her eyes sends me flying back to my seat.
“I told you that I am tired. I want to go and rest. Wena Manqoba drive.” 
Is that an order from her? 
“Yes MaMkhuleko.” I think I will love this name more. 
With that said he starts the car and drives off. I am still tongue tied. Did she just order me, and I obeyed. I chuck not believing. 
“You look cute.” 
I see a smile curving on her lips. Manqoba on the other hand is smiling from ear to ear. I put my arms around her and sniff her hair. That mixed lotion scent. Now I believe it -when I am being told that this girl has me by my balls. 

Arriving at the flat we found her father reading a newspaper. He was so surprised to see us and said he never expected her to be back so quickly. I had to explain the purpose behind her sudden return. I love how he listens while I narrate the whole story to him. He still has his eyes fixed on the newspaper with no emotion taking place. I can't read his expression, but his sudden change of breathing says a lot. 
“That is what happened.” 
He folds the paper and puts it aside. I can now see the pain in his eyes. He takes a deep breath and sinks the pain in. 
“Where is she?” He asks. 
“I left her outside. She said she just wants to be alone so she could think and let the anger out.” I don't know in what way. I decided to give her space and let her be. I know she is hurting – but mostly hurt by her sister whom she trusted. I get it where she comes from. I too would have reacted in a different way. She walks in like she is carrying the world on her shoulders. Her eyes are puffy to a point that her eye lids are way swollen. Khanyisile is really risking her life here. Shouldn’t she just let this go once and for all. I know I may sound self-fish, but her sister gives zero fucks about her! She knows how sensitive light is. But she went ahead with breaking her when I was trying so hard to build her. 
“Come here.” Dumisa calls her. She takes her time dragging her feet and sits beside him. 
“Why are you crying over an ex my child?” 
“How does one move from such betrayal?” 
“For the sake of your physical and mental health, this is the first thing you’ve got to do. You don’t have to know where they’re in life, or who they’re with. Cut off all contact with your ex. Yes, it can be crushing to be out of their lives. But now the priority is your own journey, and they don’t have a place in it. It’s time to focus on yourself and not on your ex’s social plans. You should also know that there’s no way you can be just friends with them anymore. No matter what you may have read or seen, that rarely works out well in real life. It can be a painful and ultimately futile attempt to revive and hold onto a relationship that’s ended.”
“I hear you Babana. Honestly, I don’t care about Skhosane. I am worried about Thabi. This is actually painting another picture in my head. And for my own mother to tell me that I was not meant to be there in the first place means they were going to do this without me. It’s fine. I have cut ties vele nabo. I don't need them. I have you.” She says leaning on her father's shoulder. I look at Dumisa and he looks back at me. This is the right time to tell her that he is her father. Real father for that matter. 
“Tell her the truth.” I mutter with no words coming out of my mouth. He nods his head and takes a deep breath. 
“I have something to tell you.” 
I chose to walk away. Giving them some privacy will be a good start. I don’t want the old man sweating in front of me failing to control his emotions. I respect him a lot. But now he has to fight for what belongs to him. He can't let Ngcobo leave a lavishing life while he still suffers because of him.  It’s time for him to put his pants on and fight for what is his. I walk into the study room – I find Manqoba staring at his phone and playing with a necklace. 
“And then?” He is busy staring at Khanyi’s sister pacing up and down. 
“Don't tell me...” 
He locked his phone and quickly turned in my direction. “What the hell is wrong with you?” I see – I startled him. I don’t know why he is breathing fire.
“No need to bite my head off. I was just asking.” 
Why is he giving me the go. Taking out his frustrations on me. 
“No need to sneak up on me like that.” He continues to bark. I raise my hands up in surrender. I will let him be. I have a lot going on already and cannot add problems to the problems I have already. 
“Mkhuleko.” He calls me. I have left the room already. Seems as if people are moody today and that I cannot deal with. I hate moody people. Maybe going out for a walk will clear my head.