THE OTHER BROTHER

THE OTHER BROTHER 
CHAPTER 11
THABISILE 

I look at the file and sigh. Am I even making the right decision? If my father ever finds out he would defiantly kill me. I looked at the documents one last time before shoving them back on the paper into the brown envelope. I am saving myself from this stupid marriage that I did not even agree to. I don’t know what the future holds for me but will never let my father bully me the way he does. Writing him out was never my thought. But it’s a thought that came to mind when he introduced me to his world of selfishness. A knock on the door. I open the drawer and toss the envelope inside. No one knows about this, not even Khanyisile. I would love to tell her but sometimes my sister can be a bit slow. Not even a bit slow but practically slow with a capital letter S!
“Come in.” I shout. I scan my eyes around my desk and nothing out of the ordinary. 
“Mam, Mr Ngcobo is here to see you.” My PA Sthandwa advices me. 
“You can let him in.” I say fixing my blouse. Minutes later my father walks in with the man that broke my sister's heart. He looks shocked to me but he quickly composes himself. I stand up and welcome them. 
“What brings you to my office?” I direct the question to my father. He looks around the officed and smiles. He is pleased. That is all he cares about. That last time he was here – this office looked simple enough for a man. Since it’s being used by a lady now – it’s ladely.
“I see you outdid yourself here. You should also take over the bakery.” He says. 
“I thought the bakery was Khanyisile’s.” I say. He can't possibly think that I would and could manage two businesses at the same time. My mind can only take that much a day not overload. 
“She is still young to manage.” He responds in a dismissive tone. How so because he taught me when I just had turned eighteen. Fresh from high school. I went to colleague and on another hand, I worked in my father’s company, more like being trained regarding the basis. I had a lot on my plate. Studying and working same time. Why can't he do the same to his daughter? Now it will look like I am being favored more when it comes to family business. I will not dig much into it at the moment. I turn to look at the man he brought here in my office. 
“How are you feeling?” I ask. Last time I saw him was the day when he almost fell on the ground. I took him home and its’s been days. 
“Much better thanks.” 
“You should carry water when going out for a morning jog. It helps a lot.” 
I look at my father father's priceless smile. “You two know each other, already?” He looks at the guy then back at me. 
“OfCourse I know him. He is – was dating my sister moss.” I bite my tongue. I didn’t mean for it to slip., She will kill me I she finds out that I pimped her out. 
“Khanyisile will get a husband of her own, she is still young to be in a relationship. And besides Skhosane was never hers to begin with.” I look at my father shocked. This man can be insensitive sometimes. What kind of a father is he. “I will leave you kids to get to know each other better.” He walks out whistling. I am taken back by his sudden change. 
“So, what can I do for you?” I ask sitting back down on my chair. “Please take a seat too.” I say. Should I spell everything out to him. Can't he see a chair besides him? 
“Thanks. Your father said I should come with him and see how things are done around here.” 
“No one told me anything.” I mean, I am here all the God damn time. I am the CEO of this company. Why did not dad pass this information to me first. We do not do any favors. Everyone does an interview and we get to the next stage – like every everyone else. “Did he promise you a job?” I ask. He pauses breathing and exhales out loud. Am I embarrassing him? It’s just a simple question I require an answer on. Instead of responding he keeps quiet. Okay maybe I went too little overboard. He is just staring at me without saying any word and I am beginning to feel uncomfortable. I clear my throat. 
“Need anything to drink?” I want to be out of his sight. The stare is just way too much for me. 
“Cold water.” His stare is starting to get to me. I am saved by Sthandwa walking in with refreshments.
“Mr. Ngcobo said I must bring these through. He is in a meeting.” She places they try on top of the table and walks out. This is going to be a long day. How will I work with someone boring their eyes on me? 
“Can you please stop staring. You making me uncomfortable.” I say. Still, his eyes don’t shy away from me. I will hold the stare and it will not look good at all. I lean back on my chair and fold my arms, crossing my legs – with on leg on top of the other. 
“Are you challenging me Miss Ngcobo?” The smirk on his face doesn’t scare me. 
“Bring it on.” I say with so much keenness in me. If he thinks I will be afraid than he has another thing coming!
“If you blink you take me out on a date.” He says. 
“What? Hell no!” I retort. He must be mad or something. What makes him think that I will just agree into him taking him out on a date – like really. 
“It’s a competition remember. There is no harm in that.” 
“And what if I win?” I ask. 
“I will spoil you for ninety days.” The smile grows larger on my face. Stupid jerk. I will milk his pocket dry just because he broke my sister's heart. 
The door burst open and we both turn to look at the direction – it's my father looking all furious. 
“Look for them dammit!” He throws his phone against the wall. It scatters all over the office. 
“Haibo.” I am staggered by his reaction. What could possibly be the reason for him to lose it this way? I look at the guest and he looks back at me. Words are literally failing me. He calms himself down and takes a deep breath. He turns to face me. 
“I am sorry that you had to witnessed that side of mines. The guys have lost some of the materials.” 
“What material. I don’t remember buying anything for the resort.” His eyes wonder all over the place. 
“It’s for another business project I am trying to start. Look, daddy has to go. The money shall reflect tomorrow.” Just like that he leaves me standing. He stops midway the door.
“I will call the cleaners to come clean that, don’t touch it.” I just nod my head after being instructed. My mind thinks for a second. I am too quck for my liking. I pull the plastic from one of the drawers – I am already picking the pieces up. The battery is disconnected for the phone and the screen is completely dark. Okay I was exaggerating saying that it was scattered into pieces. I cleaner walks in with the broom. 
“It’s okay. Nothing major happened. Will just throw this in the bin.” I tell her. She smiles and walks out. My father is something else. I will keep this just in case I need it in the future. I huff not believing the man I just saw.