THE OTHER BROTHER

THE OTHER BROTHER 
CHAPTER 45
THABISILE

The funeral was over, and it has already been a week since we buried Gogona. I still find it unbelievable. She is gone and never coming back. I am back to my life again. Singing and praying to God that he heals the man who happens to be the father of my child. Sounds so surreal. I am sitting beside the bed singing the lullaby song. Doctors told me to give positive motivations and nothing else. I was told that his temperature was slowly warming up which is very unusual – for them. I don’t know how unusual cause I think it is a good sign. This man was cold as ice for the past months. I was told that there is something that is keeping him warm and alive. Maybe my horrible voice is something that keeps him going and thinking of coming back to me and us. I stopped sing, my throat is sore. I sigh and let go of his hand. This is starting to get tiring honestly. I can take as little as such. But with this, it’s starting to be way too much for me. I have lost so much weight. I am just a living corpse. The only thing that keeps me going is what is in my belly. I smile brushing my pregnant belly. 
“I wonder how your baby looks like. I hope he has your eyes. I swear he will charm every girl on the streets.” I chuck. I feel like a fool talking to myself. Hope he hears my pleads and cries. 
“Wake up nawe. You have been sleeping for too long. I can't go into labor without you. I want you to be there.” These tears. I hate them. I take a deep breath and sigh. I stand up. I need to eat before I give birth right this minute.  I have been starving myself for far too long. 

Walking out of the hospital. I decided to go baby shopping. I know it’s still early to shop according to tradition - but I am trying to keep my mind busy. I am trying so hard not to think about this man that occupies my heart. Being back at home I never really thought much about him. My heart and mind were shifted to my grandmother's funeral. 
“Neutral colors are what I chose for my first baby, and it helped.” I turn around and find a lady looking at me from head to toe with a wide smile on her face. 
"Excuse me?” I asked in confusion. Who appointed her to be my spokesperson. 
"I am saying. Do no but obvious colors scans sometimes lie.” She adds. I look at the pick and blue rompers in my hands. The doctor confirmed the gender to me, and I know what I am carrying. I can feel it in my bones. I smile imagining those tiny hands and toes. "I am also here to shop for Siyeza.”
I look at her stomach and it’s totally flat. "You are not pregnant.” I say with a frown. She laughs – letting out a beautiful one. "Darling I am. Eight months approaching nine.” She lifts her t-shirts up and there is a tiny bump. 
"How did you do it?” She must give me some tips.
Again, she laughs. She reminds me of someone I see regularly but I just don’t know who. Her warm lazy eyes. I find myself admiring her. 
"I guess God decided to be easy on me this time around. My first pregnancy I looked like a whale. I am sorry for being rude. I am just here to visit my family. They are facing a tough time.”
She says taking a deep breath. "Let me not bore you with my sob stories."
"Whatever you are facing – I hope you and your family pull through."
"Thank you. I need that. Where are my manners. Gengqele Msomi. But I live in PE with my husband.” She looks pretty. 
“Thabisile Ngcobo.” We shake hands. I feel my bundle jump in spin kick in my stomach making me flinch. I hold my abdomen and grunt. The kicks are pretty rough.
“Ow my God. Are you okay?” She panics looking around. Of course, I am not okay! I am in pain. She lets go of my hand and runs around the shop. I drop the clothing on the floor and sigh. 
“I am fine now.” I shout standing up fully. That was the strangest kick of them all. She stops running and looks at me. 
“Are you sure?” She asks out of shock. It was just the moment. I don’t know what happened. I just felt connected to her in a way. Like I have known her all my life. Then the little Minos decided to make my stomach a jumping castle. She looks frightened in a way. 
“I am sure. It might be that I am tired, and I haven't been getting enough sleep.”
I can feel her exhale loudly. The girl looks spooked for some reason. She fishes for something in her bag. She takes her phone out and hands it to me. 
“Please, add your number. I want to call you later so that I can be sure that you are okay.” I smile. 
“You are worrying over nothing.” I say. 
“Taking chances, I see. That will never work with me.” She shoves the phone in my hand. I have no other option but to put my digits in.