THE OTHER BROTHER

THE OTHER BROTHER 
CHAPTER 6
KHANYISILE 

Still standing where he left me under the dark. What did he mean? I need an interpretation of what he was telling me. He can't just come here and later spew blather with his mouth. Claptrap that doesn’t even make sense! I sink on the bed trying to make sense of what he just told me. I can't crack my head for his gibberish. I still require an explanation. I grab my phone that was on top of the bed and logged in on WhatsApp. 
‘What did you mean?’ I click on send. Good thing he is online. Part of me believes that he was here to pull my leg. Well, that is what I believe in at the moment. 
‘Don't make things hard for me as they already are.’ That is the response from him. I am still left confused and so lost. 
‘What do you mean babe?’ He is not even telling me what the heck is going on!
‘It’s over Khanyisile. I have moved on nawe try moving on.’ the profile picture disappears. I tried texting back but only one tick is being sent. Did he block me? This must be some kind of a sick joke – right. Skhosane will never do this to me. He was here earlier on, and he told me that he loves me. He can't just decide to tell me that it’s now over. I switch the lights on. I grad the land line and dial his numbers. Stil it’s not going through. It’s taking me straight o voicemail. I feel my heart shattering into pieces. Out of all people, Skhosane will never hurt me in this manner, he knows where my happiness lies. He would never let tears fall from my eyes. He loves me! I stand up and begin to pace up and down trying to make sense of all this. My bedroom door opens and my mother walks in. 
“I thought you were long asleep.” she says. I am uninterested in her concerns at the moment. My main worry is Skhosane. 
“Can you lend me your phone.” I say. She looks at me like I have lost my mind. She will never understand. I am breaking into pieces, and I need closure. 
“What for.” 
“I need to make a quick call. I don’t have airtime.” I lie. Without asking any further questions. She hands me her phone. I dial his numbers. His phone rings a couple of times before he picks up. No hello – he is just silent on the call. 
“Skhosane, it’s me.” I say through my breaking voice. I hear him sigh and he just drops the line on me. I look at the screen and indeed the line has been dropped. I can't believe that this is happening to me. Skhosane can't give me love and decides to take it away just like that. There must be an explanation behind this sudden break-up. 
“He dumped me.” I tell my mother who now suddenly looks confused. Yes, she doesn’t know that I am or shall I say was dating. 
“What do you mean.?” 
“The man I have been with for three years has decided to break things off with me. There is no explanation whatsoever. I am heartbroken Mah.” I sink into the bed and cry my lungs out. I her my mother taking a deep breath. Her footsteps coming towards me. 
“Who is this boy.” she asks sitting beside me and wraps her arm around her shoulder. 
“Skhosane.” 
“Skhosane...” She keeps quiet for a while. “From where?” 
“From kwaGumede.” She slowly removes her arm around my shoulder. 
“You need to leave that boy alone.” She stands up and walks out of my room leaving me stunned. I am hurting and all my mother cares about is me leaving the man of my dreams. I need to talk to him in the morning. I refuse to believe that he dumped me just like that for no reason. 

Stress and anxiety are the leading contributors to racing thoughts at night. I have been tossing and turning throughout the night. Failing to sleep. My whole life is a mess. I got expelled from school until further notice as well. If this is not bad luk, then I don’t know what it is. I look at the ceiling and everything is spinning. I need someone to talk to. Someone to share my pain with. At least it’s the weekend. I lay on my side trying to make sense of all this. A painful sob escapes my mouth. It hurts I don't want to lie. He made me taste love and happiness just to snatch it right before my eyes. 
“Haibo, I can hear you from my room. Still upset that you got expelled?” Thabi asks. I didn't even hear her come in. 
“He dumped me.”
“Who?” 
“Skhosane.” I say. Whos else does she know? 
“Then he was never yours mntase. You are still young to cry over a man. Your man is waiting for you somewhere. Don’t let him break you like this.” 
“You don’t understand. I...” 
“You want to tell me that you two have been through a lot? Wake up and accompany me to town. I need to do some shopping.” Thabi yanks the blankets off my body and drags me out of the bed. She forcefully pushes me to the bathroom. I know I will not win this fight. I strip my body naked and hit a cold shower.