THE OTHER BROTHER

THE OTHER BROTHER 
CHAPTER 9
SKHOSANE

Here I am signing my life away. The contract looks promising. Imagine marrying for benefits. I always thought that this kind of thing is for people who always run for paved ways, little did I know that the situation would come knocking on my doorstep. If it means having my family to live a soft life – then I will do it. I will be owning half of what Thabi owns. And along the way – if I do not cheat, I will be able to start my own business but that is in five years. So, that means in these upcoming years I will be working either at the resort or the bakery. I don’t see myself working in the bakery. The resort will do. A lot of people are there, and it brings in a lot of money. Can’t believe that I have already been appointed as the CEO. Bab’Ngcobo is taking a step down. He wants to travel the world with his wife. He believes he has taught Thabisile enough and she now knows enough about business, the ropes and lines. My heart is smiling. Out of all people, Skhosane would be a CEO in one of the biggest resorts in Eshowe. I’m biting the pen with my heart on the verge of coming out. Is this truly me? Ingane kaGuumede? Sounds so surreal in a way.
“You can do this son.” My father says. I take a glance at him, and his eyes are intensely fixed on me. I can tell by the look in my father's eyes that he really wants me to do this. He wants me to better the situation in this family and I will not let him down. I look back at the contract. Guess this step relies on me. Sighs!
“Okay.” I softly replied making my father smile widely. The proud smile I see. I hope this is not a decision that I will regret for the rest of my life. My initials are dotted on the signature line. I believe I have just signed my life away to the devil himself. I hand the contract back to Bab’Ngcobo. 
“Essentially, your signature means that you have read the agreement. Agree to its terms and conditions, intend to enter into the agreement, legally authorized and mentally competent to do so.” Bab’Ngcobo tells me. There is more to his statement that is making me cringe. Hope I am not sacrificing myself to any rituals – cause if so, I will never forgive my father for that. My mind trails back to khanyisile. How will I be in the same room as Khanyi? The betrayal I have caused. I loved that chick and still do. 
Bab’Ngcobo’s phone has been ringing nonstop. He finally bids his farewell and assures me that I will be getting a call updating me about training. Hope it will not be him training me. I find that man creepy and very hard to understand. I don’t know how Khanyisile deals with him. I should now start removing Khanyisile off my heart and mind even though it would be hard. I lean backwards and close my eyes. In an actual fact, I have a headache. I have not been having any sleep since this contract issue came up. Am I heartless if I get to follow what my family wants and for a heart to be broken in the process? 
“I am proud of your wise decision son. Just know that we are doing this for the family and we are getting back what is ours.” My father's voice makes me shoot my eyes open. I look at him and wait for him to continue but he just stares at the wall and clenches his jaws. 
“What are you talking about baba?” I ask. I wait for a response but none. He decides to stand up and leaves me seated. My mouth is half open but quickly shuts when he has disappeared out of sight. The man can't drop a bombshell and leave me like that! I stand up and follow him outside. I find him looking at his barn. I see pain in his eyes. 
“Baba.” I call out to him. I swear I saw a tear drop. What the hell is going on. 
“I want to be alone son.” He responds by not looking at me.
“You told me no secrets.” I remind him. 
“In due course I will tell you all about it. In the meantime, just play along.” He tuns to face me and his eyes are bloody red shot.  I have never seen such pain in my father's eyes. He walks away leaving me still standing. That I did not expect. What the hell is my father talking about? I look at him until he disappears out of sight. I stood there and looked at the barn. I remember how we used to wake up early in the morning to herd the cows then later go for a swim in the river which we call Ediphini. Everything was fun then. We never went to sleep on an empty stomach. My father provided for us. We went to the best schools until one day we woke up to an empty barn. The matter was escalated kwiNduna but no resolution was provided. We watched our father sinking into depression. He failed to provide for his family at a later stage because there were no cows to sell. All thirty-five cows were stolen just like that, and we never heard anything since that day. I am sure that my father still has flashbacks of his past life. One thing I promise is that I will make sure to replace all the cows that were stolen and rebuild our home. A lump got stuck in my throat. I find it hard to breathe. Life will amaze you. We now sign our lives just to get a better life. 
“You have been standing there for far too long. What are you thinking about?” That’s my brother. He stands next to me and sighs. 
“Do you think I might be making a wise decision?’ I ask him. I know he might be younger than me, but I need his advice. 
“For me personally. I would have done the same thing. I know it hurts that you had to leave the one you love for a better life. The question here is – was Khanyi going to provide you with the life you've just received on a silver platter?” He asks. 
“Maybe at some point. I mean I have a degree of my own. I would have looked for a job and would have found something.” I shrug my shoulders to my response. No sense at all from it. 
He shakes his head. “We both know that you would have been the only provider in that relationship. In Nower days we get to ask what does one bring on the table other than her Virgina. Look at it on the bright side – you have won yourself a lotto here. "
“It’s hard. All the years of our happiness just down the drain.” 
“Don’t beat yourself so much into it. Maybe you two were just not destined. Khanyi has her own man somewhere in the world. H