THE OTHER BROTHER

THE OTHER BROTHER
CHAPTER 58
AMANDA

My stupid brother is back yet again. He left my mother while she fainted right infront of his eyes and he never really bothered checking up on her. I'm just mad of his selfishness. This brother of mine is inconsiderate and beyond egocentric. He doesn't regard one's feelings.
I serve them tea and scones I bought for my mother yesterday. We may live in a skwata camp, but we make sure that our house is always left spotless. This time around he didn't come alone. He bought his two daughters along. My mother hasn't said a word. The slay queen of the wife has been behaving today. Guess desperate times calls for desperate measures.
"Mah." He rubs his hands together. He finally kneels down with his head bowed down. The kids are eating scones like there is no tomorrow. I leave them to have an adult conversation but my mother calls me back to sit next to her. She is bluntly ignoring her son Skhumbuzo. I won't say anything either. I am still mad at him for leaving us. He became something but never took it to consideration to look back and feed his family. I don't car a about myself - but it's my mother that I care alot about. She's way too old for this. I don’t want adding stress on top of the stress she has. She’s fragile and needs gentle care.
"I don't even know where to begin." He heavily sighs.
"How about starting from the top." I say. My mother glares at me sharply. I immediately shut up and look shamefully on the ground.
"My life has never been the same after I left home." He suddenly lets out a painful cry. Okay, the last time I've seen Skhumbuzo cried was when our father passed on. Now this get's my mother's attention. I hope he is not one of the stunts he is trying to pull to be felt for.
"I remember leaving home. I told myself that I will be making my life better for everyone. I promised myself that I will that I will make the best memories for my family. Make my father proud, but all of that went in a complete different direction. Arriving in Durban I met up with a wrong crowd. They introduced me to some cult. I wanted the short cut but it back fired. In the beginning all was glisters and gold but later it wanted more. It started as a chicken sacrifice later wanted for more. It started wanting human blood and I knew I had to fight for my family. That's where I had to distance myself from my family. It's not by choice but I wanted to keep you guys safe. I wouldn't have bared the thought of losing you. My life is a total mess. I regret everything."
My mother is quite.
"I wish I never left home. I regret everything. Mah I'm sorry. I'm back home to start my life from the start with my family close by without worshipping the devil."
I clap once. I thought I've heard it all. This, I've only seen in movies. Kanti it happens in real life too? Thixo. I have never been so scared in my entire life! I feel like someone is starting at me. I feel cold shivers running down my spine. I can sense that someone is here.
"Mah." I whisper. Her eyes haven't left her son. I want her to also look at me and understand how scared I am.
"I think the devil is inside the house. It followed him."
One glare from her and I just know the devil has entered her and there is nothing that can be done. I shrink back on my chair and hold myself. My eyes are roaming around the house. I don’t feel safe at all.
_

My mother hasn't said a word and that worries me. Skhumbuzo is still around with his wife. They are crowding our space. I wonder when they will leave. They are just becoming too much. These kids are making so much noise that it annoys me in a good way. I wonder how big my stomach would have been by now. I received a text from Khanyi telling me that she is coming this side. I feel my heart skip a beat. Our relationship is still rocky but I hope that some day it picks up. I scan myself - I look fine.
"Amanda."
Can Skhumbuzo leave me alone just for once! I'm trying to run away from his demons.
"Skhumbuzo."
Honestly, I am bored by him and his presence.
"I'm still you brother no matter what I did." Did he have to remind me? Now I wish I never had a brother. They say it's nice to have siblings but now I believe that, that is a total lie. Skhumbuzo was never there in most my life. I needed him. I wanted a protector.
"I know."
I hear him taking a deep breath. "I will be leaving in two days time for cleansing. I don't know for how long it will take. I want to correct my wrongs and be a brother you never had. I know you hate me but I will make it up to you."
Mxm! That's what I have at the back of my head.
"I will leave Manto and the kids behind. We do have cash that will sustain then until I get back."
My mother will not like this one bit.
"Did my mother agree?" I ask. I know she wouldn't.
He nods his head in agreement. I am disappointed in my mother. I thought that maybe we were a team but girl disappointed me. I sigh. I have no other option but to accept them. Right?
"In Durban. Are you really that thing you said you were?"
"A prostitute?" My eyebrows furrow in amusement. He can't even say it. I want to laugh out so bad but that will give him the satisfaction that I've forgiven him and that is not the case. I see him swallow hard.
"No. I study." A huge relief rumbles out of his mouth. I wish I have continued to lie and say I'm one.