Sword & Shield Arc Chapter 1 - Here We Go Again

"Good Morning, Galar; this is Reporter Jenny giving you the scoop on our amazing region. Unless you've been living under a rock, you know it's that time of the year for our Ultra Dynamax Gym Challenge! The most powerful trainers from around the region will take the challenge, all gunning to be the ones to bring down the Undefeatable Champion, Galar's very own Leon! But I'm sure the masses aren't excited over any old yearly Gym Challenge!? For the first time in history, Chairman Rose has extended his invitation to the regions beyond as the most powerful trainers from Kanto and Alola join us as prestigious guests; they'll be sure to shake things up. Who knows, this may be the year we crown a new Champion; this has been reporter Jenny for the GBC signing off."

Switching the TV off, Rose looked beyond the region from his tower, exhausted and deflated. Clenching the control in hand, he bit his lip. "Another year, another wasted tournament leading nowhere. If only they knew, they'd beg me to save them."

"Chairman Rose."

Rose turned to his assistant, hands behind his back. "Olena, you understand where I'm coming from; surely you understand what is at stake."

"I do, Chairman. I always have; reports have come in. Still, no luck discovering the power source of the Darkest Day."

Slamming his desk Rose cursed, eye twitching. "Damn it! All that time and research for nothing!? No, no, I cannot let that be. Have our people double our search. If I'm correct, Professor Magnolia is retiring?"

"From what I've heard, yes."

"A pity, but if she's useless to my research, then perhaps... Her granddaughter, have our people get in touch; I'm sure she'll be thrilled to uncover the secrets of the Darkest Day."

"Of course Chairman, I must remind you, we were meant to meet the new Champion of Alola today. Did you want to cancel this meeting?"

Adjusting his tie, he nodded. "No, no, we couldn't do such a thing. The public appearance is of great interest; besides this, Champion may be able to lend their experience."

"Very good; I'll get the helicopter ready."

Rose looked back outside the tower, placing a hand on the glass and whispering. "I don't care if it's tomorrow, in ten years, 100 or even 10,000 years. I'll be the one to save Galar from destruction. It can only be me."

****

"Attention, this is your Captain speaking, we will be approaching Wyndon City shortly; please remember all your belongings and Pokeballs before landing. We hope you have a Dynamx time here in the Galar Region."

Watching the plane touch down, I let out another sigh of relief, sitting back. "I'm never going to get used to this whole flying situation. I don't care how long it takes; I'm taking a boat to whatever region next."

Zorua sat on my lap, waking up scurrying to the window view and climbing all over Zinnia to get the best look. "Whoa there, easy girl, the view ain't going anywhere."

"Sorry, Mimi is always so excited when it comes to seeing a new region for the first time," I smirk, leaning over and poking my head out, seeing fields of corn and trees surrounding the small town. "So this is the infamous Galar region? Professor Kukui spoke highly of this place; wish I could say I was excited..."

"Don't tell me you're getting cold feet over this? You, of all people, should be fearless."

Sitting back, I nodded along, couldn't blame her for thinking that. "I know it sounds stupid... But every time I visited a region they needed me for whatever over-the-top plan to save the world, but as a guest of honour for a Gym Challenge, I'm not only representing Alola but Paldea and Hisui too. I need to make a good impression."