Sword and Shield Arc Chapter 5 - Leaf Me Alone

Stepping out of the station, I stretched my arms, taking in the fresh air again. It had been several hours since the lunch with Rose, but now I was ready to move on and head to the next gym. Receiving a message from Zinnia, I was told to meet her here—the Wild Area.

It reminded me quite a lot of home with how open it was. It seemed to go on for miles of open fields and adventure. Although compared to Paldea, this was nothing. Hopping down the stairs, I began to message Zinnia back, waiting for a response, only for a Shiny Eevee to stand before me, wagging her tail. Staring blankly at it, I edged for a Pokeball. "It couldn't be this easy, right?"

"Well, I'll be, is that? Could it be? I spy a fellow Champion!"

Turning around, I was met with Leaf and a sigh of disappointment. "Yup, too good to be true. Long time no see, you two; I wasn't expecting to run into you here."

Leaf's Eevee began running around me, excited by our sudden encounter. Leaf nodded, arms behind her back. "Eevee took quite the liking to you. I would ask how the Gym Challenge is, but I know there's no need to ask such a silly question. You're killing it with your Partner, umm, what was her name? Miley, no, Momo... Umm..."

"Zorua and I haven't had much chance to battle yet. I suppose that's what happens when the girl refuses to evolve. She stays weak."

"Hey, that's not very nice. She's your friend."

Leaf was right; that wasn't very like me. I would never say something so harsh about any of my team, especially Zorua.

"Friend or not, I didn't become Champion because I used a bunch of pre-evolutions. Nor will I beat Leon with a mere Zorua. Although I question the thought, you're a 'Neon' Champion, yet you still use an Eevee? Isn't that giving yourself a disadvantage?"

Leaf scoffed at this, letting Eevee jump on her shoulder. "Excuse you, I'll have you know my amazing Eevee is unmatched. She's more than meets the eye. You should know that, considering you had an Eevee."

"Sure."

"Still don't believe me? Fine, what say your Espeon and my Eevee battle, see who's the better Eevee?"

It seems like an unfair match-up to me, but I suppose there's no harm in a friendly warm-up until Zinnia and Zorua get here.

"Don't say I didn't warn you." I taunt, taking out Espeon's Pokeball and stepping back. "Alright, Cookie, I'm counting on you."

Espeon leapt onto the battlefield, focusing on Eevee with a deep glare. Leaf spun around, freaking out, screeching. "Oh my Arceus, he's so cute! Espeon was always one of my favourite Eeveelutions, but seeing them in person! Yay!"

"Hello, battle?"

"Right, sorry!" She echoed, swinging her arm forward. "Let's go, Eevee."

I looked to Espeon, already shaking my head; this would be too easy. Without any thought or planning, I sprung into action, ready to take down the Eevee in one hit. "Cookie, show them we mean business; use Psychic!"

Espeon focused its psychic energy, sending shimmering waves toward Eevee. The attack connected, but Leaf's Eevee stood firm, showing impressive resilience. But another hit like that should do it.

"That's why you're the best Eevee! Return the attack with a Buzzy Buzz."

"A whaty what?"

Eevee began to emit a spark of light before; out of nowhere, Espeon was hit with a sudden blast of electricity, paralysing him and catching us both off guard. Since when could Eevee use electric attacks like that!?