Platinum Arc Chapter 10 - The Plan 300 Years in the Making Part 1

I thought I had seen it all in all my years of traversal and exploration. Then I was transported to Paldea, and it all changed. From the Naranja Academy to Area Zero, I was foolish enough again to believe I understood the world.

Now I'm left in the dark, feeling that bit smaller in an ever-expanding universe. Nothing here made sense. Floating platforms crumbling apart echoed on throughout the abyss. There were blends of twisted dimensions, floating platforms, and swirling vortexes. The landscape consisted of jagged cliffs, floating landmasses, and fragmented pieces of terrain suspended in mid-air. These fragments defy gravity, forming pathways and bridges stretching and contorting into different shapes.

"What am I even looking at?" I muttered, horrified. "Is this hell?"

"I had hoped never to return here again. The Distortion World is beyond any reasonable understanding, but what we do know is it's the home world of Giratina after Arceus banished him here." Cynthia explained, looking around. "But it feels different this time."

"Do you think it has something to do with Cyrus?"

Cynthia didn't respond, focusing on one point in particular. "Whatever it is, that wasn't there before."

Looking to where Cynthia was pointing, I saw a colossal tower drifting through the abyss, falling apart. It took me a moment to process it as I cleared my throat. "It looks like the tower from those stories Dawn showed me."

Nodding with me, Cynthia crossed her arms, concerned. "The Temporal Tower, at the top Dialga. If Dialga is here, that would explain many of the time disputes. It shouldn't be down here."

"Then what are we waiting for? If the legends are true, we need to save Dialga for the sake of the world."

****

There was no sign of Mars or the mysterious Cyrus I had heard little about. We had been climbing the tower for some time now with little sight of the top. Taking a quick breather, I leaned back, stretching. "It feels like we're just going on forever."

"It does seem like that, doesn't it? No matter how much we climb, it feels like no progress is being made." Cynthia returned cautiously. "Regardless, we cannot stop now."

"You're right..." I whisper as we continue to climb. I decided to ask the burning question I had for quite some time. "Cynthia, this Cyrus. What did he hope to achieve? Destroying this world and creating a new one... You'd have to be insane to attempt something like that without reason. What was his?"

Cynthia paused, glancing at me with a sigh. "I could never work out what was going through that man's head. Unlike anyone I had ever met, he was cold, malice, yet fair. He believed emotions like joy, depression and anger were a weakness that would be our undoing. Creating a new world was just to escape this one; if he had succeeded, his world would be void of emotion, ambition and hope. Just about everything that made us human."

"That sounds worse than just having no reason. How could anyone believe such a lack of feelings could fix our problems? Cyrus couldn't possibly think like that."

"I agree. To be misunderstood is quite possibly the worst outcome for anyone. I wanted to help Cyrus however I could. But ultimately, he chose his path, and there was no going back from that."

"If given the chance to confront Cyrus would you still try to save him knowing his mind is already made up?"

Pausing, Cynthia took a moment to think it over, giving just a one-word answer. "Yes."

"Volo would tell me tall tales about Giratina, legends on the distortion world and other worlds beyond. Like many of Hisui's legends, I always wrote it off as just that. A legend. The more I spend time here in Sinnoh, the more I think back to Hisui, back to home. Once we close these Time Distortion, does that mean my best way home vanishes too?"