Z-A Prelude - I Want to Go Home

Three days since the Darkest Day...

Leon had his arms crossed, watching the repairs with a stern look. His Charizard was helping alongside so many other volunteers and Pokemon alike. He was still processing the past few days; he understood Rose was brass; he was ill-tempered and strong-willed, but he never imagined the Chairman going so far. Closing his eyes for a moment, he sighed.

"Brooding, not very Champion-like." Zinnia poked, standing beside him, arms behind her back. She never made eye contact with Leon, only standing by looking at the destroyed buildings. Firefighters are still battling the blaze. "I'm surprised you even bothered to see the aftermath."

Leon looked at her, taking a moment before responding. "Not a fan of Champions, I assume?"

"I know one rich boy who's a pain in my ass, yeah. So what's the excuse, got lost? Heard you use that quite a lot from your brother."

"I could imagine." He responds, holding his Pokeball. "You're travelling with Y/N, right? It's good to have friends."

"Yeah, friends." She muttered, pondering over the thought and shaking her head. "Any word on Rose?"

"The international Police are questioning him concerning this Team Rainbow Rocket. To think they were working in the shadows this whole time. If I had known, If..."

"You would have saved the day and brought Giovanni to his knees," Zinnia grumbled, waving her hand. "I've heard it; you and Y/N are too alike in those ways. You always think it's down to you to save the world. Now, Y/N learned it's never that simple."

"He lost his Pokemon; that's what Hop told me. I couldn't imagine what he's going through."

"Neither could I. Goodra wasn't just a partner to him; he wasn't just a Pokemon to battle with. To Y/N, Goodra was his family. The closest semblance to his home was long lost. Goodra, Liligant and Mimi are the only things left from Hisui." Zinnia held the broken Pokeball, taking a long look at it. "He didn't deserve that, no one does. Giovanni will pay."

"I imagine he will; what will you do now?"

"That's down to Y/N to decide... Me, I don't know. Maybe I've been away from Hoenn too long. All of this is just a harsh reminder of the world we live in. You?"

"They cancelled the Galar Cup; it was my decision. I don't believe it was appropriate to continue it; Y/N would agree, I imagine." Leon said, his phone was beginning to ring. Turning away, he answered it, whispering to himself just out of sight of Zinnia. Hanging up, he put his phone away. "That was the detective on the case, Looker. He's going to Giovanni for questions."

"Good luck finding him."

"Not that Giovanni. The Giovanni of Team Rocket. The one currently behind bars."

****

Looker and another individual stepped out from the elevator as it came to the final stop. Twenty feet underground of the maximum state prison hidden away on the outskirts of Kanto. Several guards and Pokemon, including Blastiose, Machamp and Alakazam, stepped aside, confirming Looker's identity.

"Looker, sir, can I ask... Why are we here? Surely, questioning such a man is a waste of our time. He won't talk, I know that. Mimi knows that."

"Emma, have some faith in me. He may have been a crime boss in his time, but he was also a Gym Leader. To hold a position requires strength and discipline. If I were so bold to believe the worst of everyone I met, you would be behind bars."

"Point taken," Emma mutters. "This feels like one big trap, though."

"When it comes to Team Rocket, it always does," Looker replies, making it to the prison block's end, facing one cell in particular. A faint chuckle emerged as Giovanni stepped out from the shadows, stroking his Persian sipping a cup of tea.