Z-A Arc Chapter 8 - Zygarde

Jubilife Village.
Home
4 Years Before the Events of the Scarlet Arc

I closed the door behind me with a blank stare; the walk back from the funeral had been silent. I didn't quite know how to feel. I watched Mum walk around, turning up and making eye contact. "What do you fancy eating tonight, Y/N? I'll make whatever you want."

"Why did we do that?" I whisper, clenching my fist. "Everyone in the village paid their respects. There were speeches. We buried an empty coffin. An EMPTY coffin... Why are we acting like Dad is dead?"

Mum fell silent, walking over with a disheartened look. "Sweety, I know how you feel. But." She paused, pondering what to say. "It's been nearly a month since he went on that mission... I don't want to give up hope, but."

"He's not dead. He can't be. There's no way."

Mum walked over, standing by an old, worn-down Pokeball; it had belonged to Dad; it was all they found when searching. "No one can survive out there for so long. You know that."

"But we never found him. Maybe he's still out there. Maybe he's hurt, maybe just maybe." My words crumbled apart as I fought back the urge to cry, whimpering out the last words. "If Dad couldn't make it out there as a Pokemon Wielder... What hope do I have?"

Mum crouched down, hugging me, trying to comfort me as I couldn't help but cry. "Your Father loved you very much, and he knew deep down you'd make a fantastic Survey Corps member. Your love for Pokemon is unrivalled; you share a special gift, one passed down in the family. Your father had it; his father had it. Soon enough, you'll be able to hear the thoughts of Pokemon and, in turn, bridge the gap."

I took out the poorly made Pokeball I had put together, feeling emotions bottle up. "But I couldn't beat Dad. Not once."

"Being better at a Pokemon battle doesn't mean you can't be a good friend to them. The Galaxy Team are going to visit tomorrow. They'll accept you into their ranks, and you can make Dad proud."

Clenching the Pokeball tightly, I looked at Mum, furious. "I don't want to be accepted; I want to prove myself like Dad when he came to Hisui!"

I ran out of the house, my mother's voice trailing off into the distance. I kept running past the gate and into the wilderness. I had a single Pokeball with me. Just one, I was going to prove myself, become strong and find him. I'll find Dad and bring him home.

****

My fingertips are bittered and numb, my breath becoming shorter with each passing second and my vision drifting with the sway of the barrage of snow echoing down. I refused to be accepted by the Survey Corps. I needed to prove myself. Cradling a single crummy-made Pokeball, I ventured out for the perfect partner.

Trembling, losing more feeling to my lips, I was taken back to find the source of my troubles—a lone Zorua.
"You can't sleep just yet, Y/N..." I whisper, looking towards the cave entrance and hearing the faint cry of a Pokemon through the blizzard.

"What are you going to say this time to excuse running away, Y/N? After this scheme, there's no chance they'll ever accept you into the Survey Corps. You couldn't even catch a single Pokemon, let alone a strong one."

"Don't like being in a Pokeball, huh? I get that feeling; I wouldn't want to be in one, either. Then you won't ever have to use it. See this as a symbol of our friendship."
The gate opened, and Cyllene, Akari, and Zisu were all in a state of shock at seeing me. Akari looked exhausted out of the three running all the way here. "Y/N!? Where on Earth have you been!? You've been missing for three days!"

"Sorry if I had people worried," I whispered, looking down at Zorua with a proud smile. "Everyone, I want you to meet my new best friend and partner. This is Mimi."