Z-A Arc Chapter 1 - A Trainer No More

Alarms began to blare out as the laboratory was on fire, exploding... Scientists were fleeing as a lone intruder had defeated all the guards with just one Pokemon. Dawned in a long torn cloak, they approached their prize with no one to stand against them. Amid the chaos, a small tank towered over the intruder; inside, a small cell was being held. Placing their hand on the tank, they smiled. "Finally, after three years, my plan is coming into motion. This is step one."

Two more guards swarmed in, sending out two houndoom. Not paying their enemies any attention, a Master ball fell from their pocket into their hand. "Team Flare lives and dies through me!"

Sending out their partner, the two guards gasped before the area exploded again. The tank burst as the cell was stolen. Alarms kept roaring as the lab went up in flames, any evidence gone. From the rubble, the intruder emerged, displacing the cell in a strange device. "Soon, you will be whole again, and my dream will be born."

****

The sun dazzled, marking a new day. Even though it was only meant to be a quick pass-through, Kalos was as stunning as I had heard. Getting a moment, I sat down on a bench, taking in the soft breeze and fresh air. My last few adventures had been so hectic, fighting a swarm of alien parasites, closing wormholes to other realities and most recently... It was nice to take a small breather for however long it lasted. Zorua was no different, stretched out on the free seat of the bench, fast asleep.

She deserved every moment. Staring aimlessly into the distance, my phone sent another notification. It was one of dozens I had ignored since leaving Galar, waiting for Zinnia to return with our lunch. That's when I sat up, whispering in shock. "It's already been a year since I arrived in Paldea? One year since Hisui... Do you think they've forgotten us, girl?"

Zinnia came back with two sandwiches, debating which one to choose. "Bugger, I wish I had gotten two of each now. It's so hard to choose... Let's see, which do you want? I have a momo milk cheese and tomato sandwich and a... Kalos special?"

"What's the Kalos Special?"

Zinnia paused for a moment, shrugging. "I'm going to be completely honest; I just went with whatever the guy suggested; oh crap, I forgot the jelly-filled doughnuts! Hold these, and I'll be right back."

Zinnia thrust both sandwiches into my hand, leaving me stuck for choice as she ran back; sitting back down, I looked at each sandwich, sighing. "Both look good. Maybe I'll tak-."

I was cut off as the ground began to shake, followed by a loud explosion. Dropping the food from Arcues on the floor, I turned around and saw smoke coming from the tree line. Zorua didn't hesitate, jumping up and running for the trees. My heart raced, fear consuming me, watching Zorua leave, not her. Not her. "Mimi, wait! Wait! Come back, please!"

Sprinting through the woods, I pushed branches and leaves out of my face, making it into a small opening. Hidden in the woods was what looked to be the remains of a building. It was like a lot of the forest was up in flames. While I was focused on that, Zorua was growling at one person in particular. Now gaining my attention, I came across a dark-skinned woman with striking blue messy hair pulling down her hood. Trickles of flames echoed off her cape as she wore a torn red suit which had seen better days. Glancing at me, she smirked. "Drawn more attention, have I? Typical nonscene."

Zorua kept growling, clearly spooked by this girl. I joined Zorua, picking her up in a frenzy and backing away from the girl. Flashes of him consume my thoughts. "Wh-Who are you?"

"My purpose is of no concern to a child like you, nor do I have the time to entertain your desires." She boasted, looking to leave, only to pause, taking another look at Zorua. "Although, I take it you're a Pokemon trainer?"