Z-A Arc Chapter 4 - Destruction Without Beauty

I had been staring at the ceiling from my bed for some time. I couldn't tell you how long, but it felt like an eternity. It had been three days since joining Nemona's school trip, and nothing eventful had happened, luckily. I had no interest in listening to the run-of-the-mill sightseeing and history lessons. Now we had stationed up in Lumiose city, and I was entombed in my hotel room just...

Not feeling it today.

The door knocked as Nemona entered happy-go-lucky as always. "Thought I'd find you cooped up in here; come on, we're burning daylight; let's go and see the city!"

"No thanks." I echo with a deep sigh. "I'm quite happy here."

"It's not every day you get to visit Lumiose City Y/N; come on, I really want to visit the gym here."

"Don't let me stop you then," I whisper, rolling over and facing the wall.

Nemona, like always, wouldn't budge, sitting on the edge of my bed, leaning forward and yapping like a spearow. "Come on, please, pretty please, with an Alcreamie on top. I'm sure there's something in this city you'd be interested in. The region's Professor resides here; maybe visiting him could lift your spirits?"

Glancing at her briefly, I replied meekly. "The Professor... Well, when you put it that way, maybe he knows something about me getting home?"

"That's the spirit, out of bed rival, we got a city to burn!" Nemona exclaims, striking a pose.

Sitting up, I stared at her blankly, waiting; when she didn't get the hint, I groaned. "I need to get dressed, you know."

Clicking her fingers, Nemona stepped away. "Oh, right, gotcha. I'll be waiting in the lobby; don't be long!"

With Nemona out of my hair, I sat at the end of my bed, just staring at the floor this time; a heavy sigh followed as I stood up, giving Zorua a stroke. "Let's get this over and done with."

****

"Ooh, ooh! I want to try the ice cream; look, Y/N! Wow, that building is huge!"

"Uh huh, cool," I respond in my own world, wandering aimlessly. I came to a stop, staring at a building. "Is this?"

Nemona came back, matching my curiosity. "Hey, you found the Professor's lab. Nice going. We have time to kill before our next orientation. Do you want to visit them?"

"I really don't want to get my hopes up. I've met nearly a dozen Professors, all as useless as the last. But... It wouldn't hurt."

"That's the spirit," She exclaims, storming in. "I wonder what sort of Pokemon he studies; this is exciting."

Stepping inside the building, a small sign read the lab was on the 2nd floor. Stepping into the elevator, I crossed my arms. "Think you can tone it down a tad, Nemona? You're making me paranoid."

"Oh, right, sorry."

Making it to our destination, I stepped out of the elevator, finding the small office space empty, but the place was filled with diagrams and pictures of Pokemon. It felt much more alive compared to the other labs I've seen. Glossing over the research, I heard talking from the back of the room.

"It's not that I don't want to help, but surely you must see something like this is more complicated than a mere scan."

"What nonscene are you spewing here, Sycamore? You are the brightest mind in Kalos; Lysandre came to you for advice and words of wisdom. There must be something in your notes to help me."

"I research Pokemon, my knowledge and understanding of that weapon is beyond my scope. Perhaps we can work together and help resolve your dilemma if you calm down."