Z-A Arc Chapter 6 - A Paradox in the Making

Giovanni sent out Eternatus, the Pokemon growing in power as it began to Dynamax. A heavy cloud poured over the powerplant, a nightmare of a creature towering over us.

"This is the power of Dynamax! All who stand against Team Rainbow Rocket will meet the same fate: destruction!" A helicopter appeared behind with several Team Rainbow Rocket grunts waiting. Giovanni stepped on, tipping his hat. "And soon this world will be mine. Fwahahaha!"

My eyes were fixated on our doom. Eternatus began charging another much stronger Dynamax Cannon. We didn't stand a chance against it, and I was unable to move, exhaustion and fear overtaking me. All I could do was hold Zorua close, staring down the end.

Tears streamed down my face, my heart racing.

Goodra stood up, holding on with his last breath.

Standing in front of us, he blocked the oncoming strike.

I screamed out, waking from the nightmare, my heart racing caped in sweat. Holding my face, my breathing began to slow down; luckily, I hadn't woken Zorua or Sprigatito-one good thing. I was unable to go back to sleep, like most nights. Unable to take it, I slid out of bed, put my belt on, and stepped outside for some fresh air.

****

Outside the city, I leaned against a tree, now having fully calmed down. It didn't help over everything that was playing on my mind. Team Flare, the Paradox Pokemon and the Ultimate Weapon. Why is this era so full of hatred and evil?

Closing my eyes, I tried to get some rest, only to hear a loud, firey blast coming not far from here. Curiosity got the better of me, so I decided to take a look. Passing through the tree lines, I spotted Kieran training with his Incinerator.

"Incineroar, again, flare blitz!" Kieran ordered. Incineroar blasted into a mountain, bursting through. He was about to attack again when he caught wind of me watching. Glancing, he turned back, continuing to train. "Go away."

"Bit late to be training, isn't it?"

"Maybe for you, if I want to defeat Team Flare, I need to train as much as I can."

Sitting on the bench, I gave a half-shrug, watching. "Trust me, being out this late in the wild is nothing unusual. Mimi and I would spend days away from our village, taking on the harshness of the winter storms on our hunt for a new Pokemon."

Kieran continued to ignore me before grumbling, recalling Incineroar. "If you say so."

"Nemona mentioned visiting your home town on her school trip. Kitakamai right? I heard it all went down."

"Shut up. You weren't there; you have no idea. Nemona thinks the world of you, but I only see a weakling too afraid to stand up and fight. If Nemona thinks you're strong, maybe I overestimated her."

"You're wrong. Think of me however you like, but don't go dragging Nemona through the mud because of my mistakes." I echo, leaning forward. "What's the point in being strong anyway? What does anyone get out of it?"

"The hell does that mean?" He snarled before pausing and turning away. "What a waste of time... If you've got so much time to goof off, why don't you train your Pokémon? You think maybe this is why you always lose."

"You lost hard to Nemona, didn't you?" I question curious. "She saved Kitakami, not you. I get it; I was like you once. I was so hyper-focused on being the best that it almost cost me everything."

Kieran raised his Pokeball, furious. "I've had enough. I'm proving here, and now I'm stronger. I don't want any excuses; I'll save Kalos from Team Flare; it can only be me."