Sword and Shield Arc Chapter 10 - Behind the Curtain

I've never lost a Pokemon battle. Not really; even back in Hisui, I was a cut above the rest. I got weaknesses better, the moves to teach, the matchups and training. Everything just jelled together like magic. Because of that, I was constantly dragged around on every mission possible. I was considered the best in the Survey Corps at getting the job done. Everyone would always say I got my skills from Dad. I was happy to consider moving in his footsteps.

But I never stopped. Not once, Zorua, Goodra, Liligant, Darkrai. My Pokemon is from Hisui, and then the time machine. Tinkaton, Iron Valiant, Roaring Moon, Luxio, Espeon, Mawile, Vulpix, Mimikyu, Sprigatito, Alcremie and so many others. We never stopped, not even for a brief moment. Always onto the next adventure. It never crossed my mind. I won every battle. I stopped them all. Professor Turo and Sada. Team Galatic and Volo. Team Phoenix and Zephyr, the other me, Team Rainbow Rocket, and Rose.

I just cannot stop; I'm unsure what it would take to do so. I've never lost a Pokemon battle. Not really. Well. That's a lie. Everyone loses eventually.

Today is that day. I lose it all.

****

Hammerlocke was in peril; that was an understatement. Thanks to Rose's helicopter, It took us no longer than ten minutes to arrive here. In just ten minutes, the Region was falling apart by the dozen. Clutching Zorua closely, the helicopter tried landing on the powerplant rooftop as Godzilla-sized Pokemon kept appearing all around, destroying everything in sight.

"This is horrible... If we don't stop this, Hammerlocke will be reduced to dust."

Rose looked at his home, crumbling away, shell-shocked eyes wide open. "This wasn't what I wanted. No, this isn't the future I sought for Galar. What has he done?"

"Who? Just who are you working with?" Zinnia barks, looking at Rose with spite. When she realized she wouldn't get an answer, she turned away from the pilot. "How quickly can you put us down?"

"Any second, we almo-." The pilot was cut off as a Dynamax Nidoking appeared before us, striking the helicopter. We began to spiral out of control as I held on for dear life, making sure not to lose Zorua this time. But one by one, everyone else began to be torn from the cockpit. Rose and Oleana. Zinnia. I tried reaching for her, losing sight just at the last moment.

"Zinnia!"

The helicopter crashed into Hammerlocke's stadium, where I started my journey. The crash scene was spread across the stadium, and while I should have taken a major hit, luckily, Goodra came out to save me at the last second. I looked up, finding the sturdy Pokemon holding me and Zorua looking worried.

Blood began trickling down my face, and my left arm burnt. Wincing, I put on my bravest face. "I'm okay, Goodra. Thank you. What would we do without you, buddy?"

Goodra smiled, helping me out of the crash sight. The stadium was a mess, half of the entrance destroyed, and in the distance, I noticed Raihan and other trainers battling a horde of Dynamax Pokemon, holding the line. Catching my bearing, I began slowly walking towards the main entrance, my head dizzy. I began to sway left and right, falling to my knees, a constant ringing in my ears. I closed my eyes and tried echoing it out, shaking my head and pulling myself together.

Without warning again, Goodra picked me up, carrying me. "Thanks... We need to get to the powerplant... Rose said; whatever is causing this Darkest Day is there. We got to hurry, please."

Goodra nodded, running in hand towards our destination. Hold on a little longer, everyone. I promise we're going to fix this.

****

The snowfall continued hammering away at us as I pushed through the horde of Goomy, trying to escape. Zorua hopped between each set of rocks, ready to take on the impossible. I counted at least a dozen Mamoswine; one or two was easy enough for Zorua and me to handle, but even this was too much.