Z-A Arc Chapter 2 - One Hello and a Goodbye

"That isn't right!" Nemona howled, punching the side of the Pokemon Center, absolutely furious. Out of breath, she looked at her fist before turning to me. "How could anyone be so heartless to do something like that to another Pokemon? A trainer's Pokemon, of all things!"

"Easy there, Primape. You didn't seriously think the world was so joyful and kind, did ya? If people really understood the dangers out there, let's say not every ten-year-old would begin a new journey now, would they?" Zinnia pointed out, leaning against the other wall and looking up with a sigh. "It happened; no point losing sleep over it."

"If only I were there... I'd, I'd."

"You'd what, girl?"

"I don't know! I could have helped; we could have taken that evil man together." Nemona barked before taking a deep breath. "It's my fault."

I looked up at her, confused by those words. "Why would any of that be your fault?"

"You asked me to come with you a year ago; if I had agreed, I would have been there with you. Surely that would have made a difference?"

"Enough!" I snap, standing up and staring at Nemona, pissed off. "Don't you dare start trying to take that away from me? I was the one who tried standing against Giovanni; I was the one who always had to be the hero. I was the one who refused to hear Leaf's pleas to stop. All of that was on me, and because of that, Goodra paid the price."

"Y/N..."

Rubbing my face, I shook my head, annoyed. "Look at us mindlessly arguing after being a year apart. Typical of us, huh, Nemona? If Arven and Penny were here, it would just take the cake. Can we change the subject?"

Nemona paused momentarily, clearly wanting to argue back, but eventually, she caved in, trying to build up a smile. "Why did you come to Kalos?"

"Truthfully, I was wanting to go home." I echo, hands in my pockets. "I needed a break and time away to see everyone."

"That won't do." She argued, tapping her nose. "I'm not going to let you hide away in your dorm again; we got you out of that worried state once."

Zinnia moved away from the wall, nodding along. "For once, I'm agreeing with trigger-happy here. You're running away."

"Running away? Where can I run? I don't have anywhere to run to; I'm trapped in this horrid future, one of chaos, destruction and evil. What I wouldn't take to have never come here in the first place."

"He's been like this ever since we left Galar. Can't say I blame him."

"Travel through Kalos with me, with Zinnia. I refused your invitation the first time, let me make up for that. I'll prove to you this world is as beautiful as your fighting spirit once was."

Zinnia looked away with a meek sigh. "About that..."

"There you are! The nerve of you, Nemona!" A girl barked, storming over; she looked like her head was about to explode, throwing a tantrum. "We're meant to be partners if Briar discovers we'd separated!"

Nemona smiled, placing her hands together and laughing. "Sorry Carmine, I got a bit carried away, and then I bumped into an old friend and couldn't help myself."

Carmine glossed over us two as she raised an eyebrow. "Another one of those students who came from the Paldea region, huh? How come you're not a part of the school trip? Are they too good for you or something?"

I was going to speak before Nemona interrupted. "Y/N here was brought on a special class assignment with the Professor of Sinnoh; he's been away from Paldea for a while because of it."