three | gridlock

While Annabelle had silently looked between the Doctor and Martha with narrowed eyes, the Doctor said, "Just one trip, that's what I said

While Annabelle had silently looked between the Doctor and Martha with narrowed eyes, the Doctor said, "Just one trip, that's what I said. One trip in the TARDIS and then home. Although, I suppose we could stretch the definition. Take one trip into the past, one trip into the future. How do you fancy that?"

With a chuckle, Martha told him, "No complaints from me!"

As he messed around with some of the dials in the TARDIS, the Doctor asked her, "How about a different planet?"

In turn, Martha asked him, "Can we go to yours?"

As he went towards the other side of the controls, he replied, "No, there's plenty of other places."

Martha said to him, "Oh, come on. I mean, the planet of the Time Lords. That's got to be worth a look. What's it like?"

With a nod of his head, the Doctor told her, "It's beautiful, yeah."

Martha asked him, "Is it like, you know, outer space cities, all spires and stuff?"

The Doctor replied, "I suppose it is."

In turn, Martha asked him, "Great big temples and cathedrals?"

The Doctor said to her, "Yeah."

Martha asked him, "Lots of planets in the sky?"

With a raise of his head, the Doctor told her, "The sky's a burnt orange. With a citadel enclosed in a mighty glass dome, shining under the twin suns. Beyond that, the mountains go on forever. Slopes of deep red grass, capped with snow."

After the Doctor had lowered his head once more, Martha asked him, "Can we go there?"

With a quick turn of his head, the Doctor replied, "Nah! Where's the fun for me? I don't want to go home. Instead..." While Annabelle had silently eyed the Doctor and took note of just how quickly his attitude had changed after talking about his home planet, the Doctor had grabbed onto a nearby lever and pulled it a couple of times and messed around with some of the buttons on the controls before he said, "This is much better. Year 5000000053. Planet New Earth. Second home of mankind. Fifty-thousand light years from your old world, and we're slap-bang in the middle of New New York. Although, technically, it's fifteen New Yorks since the original, so it's New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New York. One of the most dazzling cities ever built."

After stepping out of the TARDIS and finding herself being hit by some rain, Martha said, "Oh, that's nice. A Time Lord version of dazzling!"

While Annabelle had simply pushed Martha to the side with a mere roll of her eyes, the Doctor said, "No, a bit of rain never hurt anyone. Come on, let's get under cover."

And while the Doctor and Martha were quick to run for cover, Annabelle had muttered to herself with a mere shake of her head, "Bloody humans and their incapability to handle a single drop of rain falling down onto their heads."