four | daleks in manhattan

After walking out of the TARDIS with Annabelle and the Doctor close behind her, Martha asked him, "Where are we?"

In turn, the Doctor said, "Ah! Smell that Atlantic breeze. Nice and cold. Lovely!" Then he turned to Martha and asked her, "Martha, have you met my friend?"

With a quick turn of her head, Martha started to ask him, "Is that... Oh, my God, that's the Statue of Liberty!"

While Annabelle had simply rolled her eyes to herself, the Doctor said, "Gateway to the New World. 'Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free'."

As she continued to stare up at the Statue of Liberty, Martha said, "That's so brilliant. I've always wanted to go to New York. I-I mean, the real New York, not the new, new, new one."

After turning his back on Annabelle and Martha, the Doctor said with a nod of his head, "Well, there's the genuine article. So good, they named it twice. Mind you, it was New Amsterdam, originally. Harder to say twice, no wonder it didn't catch on. New Amsterdam, New Amsterdam."

While Annabelle had looked anywhere but at the city that stood on the other side of the ocean, Martha said, "Wonder what year it is? 'Cause look, the Empire State Building's not even finished yet."

In turn, the Doctor said to her, "Work in progress. They've still got a couple of floors to go, and if I know my history, that makes the date somewhere around..."

It was then that Martha said, "November 1st, 1930."

As he turned his head to look over at Martha, the Doctor said to her, "You're getting good at this."

While the Doctor had turned to look over at the newspaper that Martha was holding, Martha said, "That's nearly eighty years ago. It's funny, 'cause you see those old newsreels, all in black and white, like it's so far away, but here we are. It's real. It's now." While the Doctor had only continued to stare down at the newspaper after taking it out of Martha's hands, Martha said to him, "Come on, you. Where do you want to go first?"

In turn, the Doctor said to her, "I think our detour just got longer."

As she looked at the newspaper once more, Martha said, "'Hooverville Mystery Deepens'. What's Hooverville?"

* * *

As he walked through a park with Martha and Annabelle, the Doctor said, "Herbert Hoover, thirty-first President of the USA, came to power a year ago. Up till then, New York was a boom town, the Roaring Twenties. And then..."

In turn, Martha said to him, "The Wall Street Crash, yeah. When was that, 1929?"

With a nod of his head, the Doctor replied, "Yeah. The whole economy wiped out overnight. Thousands of people unemployed. All of a sudden, the huddled masses doubled in number with nowhere to go. So, they ended up here in Central Park."