eight | human nature

After closing the door to the TARDIS, the Doctor had quickly run over to Martha and grabbed her by the arms before he asked her, "Did they see you?" Then he looked between Martha and Annabelle as he asked them, "Did they see either of you?"

In turn, Martha said to him, "I don't know."

The Doctor asked her, "But did they see you?"

Martha told him, "I was too busy running."

The Doctor said to her, "Martha, it's important, did they see your face?"

Martha replied, "No, they couldn't have. And whilst we were running, Annabelle was already walking away from us and heading back here. So, they couldn't have seen her face, either."

As he moved away from Martha and over towards the controls, the Doctor said, "Off we go." After a constant beeping was heard, he yelled, "Ah! They're following us."

Martha asked him, "How can they do that? You've got a time machine."

The Doctor told her, "Stolen technology. They've got a time agent's vortex manipulator. They can follow us wherever we go. Right across the universe. They're never going to stop. Unless... I'll have to do it." While Annabelle had silently eyed the Doctor with her head tilted to the side, the Doctor looked over at Martha and asked her, "Martha, you trust me, don't you?"

Martha replied, "Of course I do."

The Doctor told her, "'Cause it all depends on you."

In turn, Martha asked him, "What does? What am I supposed to do? And why aren't you asking her to do it instead? I mean, she's the immortal one between me and her."

With a quick raise of his head, the Doctor turned to her and said to her, "Take this watch because my life depends on it. This watch, Martha, this watch is..."

* * *

After closing the door to the TARDIS, Martha said, "Hello." Then– with a shake of her head– she said to herself, "Talking to a machine."

It was then that she heard a voice ask her, "So, Martha Jones, are you aware that there are some in the universe that would consider you to be quite mad after hearing you talk to a machine?" After Martha had quickly turned her head to look over at a slightly smirking Annabelle Mikaelson– who stood on the other side of the controls with her head tilted to the side and a single eyebrow raised– Annabelle said to her, "But not me. Because what do I care about your possibility of driving yourself mad during the time in which the Doctor has been nothing more than a mere human during our time here? The more that you're driven mad, the more that I feel this incredible urge to get into that head of yours and see just how much you can handle before you are truly driven mad by none other than me– Annabelle Mikaelson, the most unstable member of my family."

After only blinking to herself, Martha said to her, "Annabelle, you're still here."

With a scoff, Annabelle replied, "Of course I am. Where else could I have gone? I mean, really, Martha. In case you've forgotten, we are in the year 1913– which is exactly ninety-four years prior to the year that we have each come from. It isn't as if I could exactly go anywhere– not when the past version of me is more than likely roaming around the entirety of Europe after making my escape from my half-brother. I'm sure that the last thing that I would need is for me to come face-to-face with a past version of myself and cause some sort of a problem that could have very well been prevented by staying in this very TARDIS." When Martha's eyebrows had only furrowed in response to Annabelle's words, Annabelle asked her, "Besides, weren't you the one that was concerned about the effects of changes in the past prior to us meeting Shakespeare?"