forty | vincent and the doctor

While Annabelle, Amy and the Doctor walked through the art gallery, a man wearing a bowtie said, "So this is one of the last paintings Van Gogh ever painted

While Annabelle, Amy and the Doctor walked through the art gallery, a man wearing a bowtie said, "So this is one of the last paintings Van Gogh ever painted. Those final months of his life were probably the most astonishing artistic outpouring in history. It was like Shakespeare knocking off Othello, Macbeth and King Lear over the summer hols." After a few members of the group had only let out a laugh in response to his words, the man said, "And especially astonishing because Van Gogh did it with no hope of praise or reward."

And while the man continued to talk to the group and Annabelle, who wasn't paying the least bit of attention to anything that he was saying, Amy turned to the Doctor and said to him, "Thanks for bringing me."

In turn, the Doctor said to her, "You're welcome."

Then Amy said to him, "You're being so nice to me. Why are you being so nice to me?"

The Doctor replied, "I'm always nice to you."

Amy told him, "Not like this. All these places you're taking me, Arcadia, the Trojan Gardens, now this. I think it's suspicious."

With a quick turn of his head, the Doctor said to her, "What? It's not! There's nothing to be suspicious about."

In turn, Amy said to him, "Okay, I was joking. Why aren't you?"

While Annabelle walked away from the two of them and over towards another part of the art gallery, the man from before said, "Each of these pictures now is worth tens of millions of pounds. Yet in his lifetime, he was a commercial disaster. Sold only one painting, and that to the sister of a friend. We have here possibly the greatest artist of all time, but when he died, you could have sold his entire body of work and got about enough money to buy a sofa. And a couple of chairs." After a few members of the group had laughed once more, he said to them, "If you– If you follow me now..."

While a couple of kids walked past where Amy and the Doctor were standing, the Doctor looked around himself with furrowed eyebrows when he saw that Annabelle wasn't standing beside him anymore.

It wasn't until he was about to try and find Annabelle for himself and find out just where she'd gone off to that Amy grabbed him by the arm and dragged him over towards one of Vincent van Gogh's paintings as she said, "There it is, the actual one."

In turn, the Doctor said to her, "Yes. You can almost feel his hand painting it right in front of you. Carving the colors into shapes." Then he leaned his face closer towards the painting as he said, "Wait a minute."

With a slight turn of her head, Amy said, "What?"

With a point of his finger at one particular part of the painting, he said to her, "Well, just look at that."

Once more, Amy said, "What?"

The Doctor told her, "Something not very good indeed."

Amy asked him, "What thing not very good?"