twenty three | forest of the dead

As it continued to walk in their direction, the corpse asked, "Hey, who turned out the lights?" While River took a quick glance over towards the Doctor before moving around him, the corpse asked, "Hey, who turned out the lights?"

It was then that River pointed her gun at another bookcase before she yelled, "This way, quickly! Move!"

And while the Doctor grabbed Annabelle and dragged her along with him and the others, the corpse asked, "Hey, who turned out the lights?"

* * *

After stepping into another room through a hole that she made with her gun, River turned to the others and said to them, "Okay, we got a clear spot. In, in, in!" While the archaeologists entered the room after Annabelle and the Doctor had entered it, River told them, "Right in the center, in the middle of the light. Quickly! Don't let your shadows cross."

Then River turned to the Doctor and said to him, "Doctor..."

In turn, the Doctor said to her, "I'm doing it."

Then River said, "There's no light here. Sunset's coming. We can't stay long." While the other archaeologists glanced over at Annabelle and stared at the dried-up blood spots on Annabelle's clothing that had come from just how deeply she had dug her fingernails into her own head, River leaned forward and asked the Doctor, "Have you found a live one?"

The Doctor replied, "Maybe, it's getting harder to tell." Then he lightly hit his sonic screwdriver as he asked it, "What's wrong with you?"

As she looked around herself, River said, "We're going to need a chicken leg. Who's got a chicken leg?" After Other Dave had handed her his own lunch, she said to him, "Thanks, Dave."

Then she quickly took it out of the aluminum foil that was wrapped around it before she tossed it into the shadow that the Doctor was crouched in front of.

And just like before, it was reduced down to nothing more than a simple bone the second that it had hit the shadowed part of the room.

As she backed up from the shadowed part of the room, River said, "Okay. Okay, we got a hot one. Watch your feet."

The Doctor told her, "They won't attack until there's enough of them. But they've got our scent now. They're coming."

While the Doctor moved towards another part of the room and one of the archaeologists had taken it upon himself to glance over at Annabelle and the blood that was now leaking out of her palms, Other Dave asked River, "River, who is he? You haven't even told us. You just expect us to trust him."

In turn, River said to him, "He's the Doctor."

With a shake of his head, Mr. Lux asked her, "And who is 'The Doctor'?"

River said to him, "The only story you'll ever tell, if you survive him."

Then Anita said to her, "You say he's your friend, but he doesn't even know who you are."