twelve | the sound of drums

Only moments after the three of them had sat down at a corner in the street, Captain Jack said, "The moral is, if you're gonna get stuck at the end of the universe, get stuck with an ex-Time Agent and his vortex manipulator

Only moments after the three of them had sat down at a corner in the street, Captain Jack said, "The moral is, if you're gonna get stuck at the end of the universe, get stuck with an ex-Time Agent and his vortex manipulator."

With a nod of her head, Martha said, "But this Master bloke, he's got the TARDIS. He could be anywhere in time and space."

In turn, the Doctor said to her, "No. He's here. Trust me."

Martha asked him, "Who is he anyway? And that voice at the end, that wasn't the Professor."

With a nod of his head, Captain Jack said, "If the Master's a Time Lord, then he must've regenerated."

Martha replied, "What does that mean?"

Captain Jack told her, "It means he's changed his face. Voice, body, everything, new man."

In turn, Martha asked him, "Then how are we gonna find him?"

With a mere turn of his head, the Doctor said, "I'll know him. The moment I see him. Time Lords always do."

Martha said to him, "But hold on, if he could be anyone... We missed the election. But it can't be..."

It wasn't long afterwards that they heard the voice of a newscaster say, "Mr. Saxon has returned from the Palace, and is greeting the crowds inside Saxon Headquarters."

While they continued to watch the video, Martha said, "I said I knew that voice. When he spoke, inside the TARDIS, I've heard that voice hundreds of times. I've seen him, we all have. That was the voice of Harold Saxon."

In turn, the Doctor said, "That's him. He's Prime Minister. The Master is Prime Minister of Great Britain." After the Master had kissed the woman that was walking beside him, the Doctor asked, "The Master and his wife?"

After a couple of seconds of walking towards one of the reporters, the Master said, "This country has been sick. This country needs healing. This country needs medicine. In fact, I'd go so far as to say, that what this country really needs right now is a Doctor."

And while the newsreel had continued, Martha asked him, "If that's him and he's now the Prime Minister, then where the hell is Annabelle and why haven't we seen any signs of her since we got here?"

And while Martha and Captain Jack Harkness had only shared a look with each other, the only thing that the Doctor could do was stare at the screen with his eyebrows furrowed.

* * *

With her arms chained up to the ceiling and her legs chained down to the floor and not to mention a cloth doused with vervain shoved into her mouth, Annabelle could do nothing but glare at the Master after watching him walk into the room that he was keeping her inside of.