thirty eight | the hungry earth

As he neared the door to the TARDIS, the Doctor yelled, "Behold!" As he opened the door and let Annabelle, Amy and Rory all step out of it, he yelled, "Rio!"

In turn, Amy said, "Nuh-uh."

Then Rory said, "Not really getting the sunshine carnival vibe."

As he closed the door behind himself, the Doctor replied, "No! Ooh, feel that, though. What's that?" Then– after taking a couple of steps forward and proceeding to jump up and down on the pavement– he said, "Ground feels strange."

After turning around and seeing the way that Annabelle, Amy and Rory were looking at him, he said, "Just me... Wait... That's weird."

Rory asked him, "What's weird?"

As she made her way over towards the Doctor, Amy said to him, "Doctor, stop trying to distract us. We're in the wrong place." While the Doctor turned around and started to run over towards a random patch of grass, Amy told him, "Doctor, it's freezing, and I've dressed for Rio. We are not stopping here."

After the Doctor had crouched down in front of the patch of grass and pulled some of it out of the ground, Amy said, "Doctor! Are you listening to me? It's a graveyard! You promised me a beach."

The Doctor said, "Blue grass." While Amy and Rory walked over towards him and Annabelle only let out a sigh as she closed her eyes and listened to the sound of Amy and Rory's footsteps, the Doctor said, "Patches of it all around the graveyard." As he shoved the bits of grass into his coat and turned to face Amy and Rory, he said, "So, Earth, 2020-ish, ten years in your future, wrong continent for Rio, I'll admit, but it's not a massive overshoot."

With furrowed eyebrows, Amy asked, "Why are those people waving at us?"

After only turning his head and seeing just what Amy was seeing, the Doctor took a couple of steps forward and said, "Can't be."

After Rory had started to wave one of his own hands, Amy turned to him and quietly said, "No, don't."

After looking through his binoculars, the Doctor said, "It is! It's you two."

In turn, Rory said to him, "No. We're here. How can we be up there?"

Then the Doctor said, "Ten years in your future. Come to relive past glories, I'd imagine. Humans, you're so nostalgic."

With a turn of her head, Amy asked, "We're still together in ten years?"

With a mere tilt of his head, Rory replied, "No need to sound so surprised!"

Then Amy said, "Hey, let's go and talk to them! We can say hi to Future Us! How cool is that?"

It wasn't until Amy went to do just that that the Doctor said to her, "Uh, no, best not, really, best not. These things get complicated very quickly, and..." Then– with a turn of his head– he said, "Oh, look! Big mining thing. Oh, I love a big mining thing. See, way better than Rio! Rio doesn't have a big mining thing."