44

lee hyesoo pov
"min... ji..."

her face softened when she noticed it was me. she tried to approach me but I took a step back.

"I didn't know you would be here," she said and gave me her signature eye smile.

hanni's grip on my hand tightened. she made it clear she disliked minji.

I never knew minji would be this rude? the way she scowled at me and didn't even try to apologise when she was the one who bumped into me.

"minji, what took you so long?"

her friend decided to run up to her.

what the fuck.

"who... oh..."

why is she here too? I'm scared.

hanni seemed to have stiffened up too upon seeing her. I never knew minji knew her.

"minjeong?"

"uhm..."

this is too awkward.

"you guys know each other?" I asked, feeling very confused. they barely interacted in school.

"well, kim minji, kim minjeong... make the connection," minji said. my jaw dropped when I realised.

"you're sisters? you are siblings with this psychopath?" I pointed at minjeong shakily. minjeong glared at me as I pointed at her.

"I am not a psychopath!"

"after what you did, you could be a certified psychopath," hanni said and shrugged. minjeong tried to approach hanni and I took a step in front to shield her.

"whatever, just go on your way," I said and took hanni's hand, dragging her with me.

we went back to the others and they had already finished eating.

"you guys took too long," chan said.

"are you sure you didn't go and stuff each other's faces instead?" jake asked jokingly.

"no... but guess what?"

"what?"

"we saw minji and minjeong," I continued.

"what?!"

"yeah, they were together. turns out they're siblings too."

"damn..."

the others decided to go play a bit more at the beach since we rarely had the chance.

hanni and I just sat at the mat together. I was feeling really complicated about minji and minjeong. it's the way I never noticed anything at all.

"are you still thinking about them?" hanni turned to face me and asked.

"yeah... I have never noticed it at all. they don't resemble each other much."

"the thing they have in common is that they like you," hanni joked, trying to lighten it up. I laughed and pulled her on top of me as I laid down.

"I only have eyes for you though," I said and she smiled while playing with my hair.

we stayed like that for a while, just enjoying each other's company and the sound of the waves crashing onto the shore. but my mind kept wandering back to the encounter with minji and minjeong. it was like a puzzle that didn't quite fit together.

"hanni, something about minji and minjeong doesn't feel right," I said, unable to shake off the feeling of unease.

"I don't know, hyesoo. even if there is something, it doesn't matter," she replied, placing a gentle kiss on my forehead.

I pulled her closer to me, savoring the feel of her warmth and the sound of her breathing.

as we laid there, time seemed to slow down and I felt at peace with everything. hanni was right, even if there was something off about the sisters, it didn't matter. all that mattered was the present moment and the love we shared.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, letting go of all the negative thoughts that were clouding my mind. when I opened my eyes, I saw hanni looking at me with a soft smile on her face.

"I love you," she said, and I felt my heart swell with happiness.

"I love you too," I replied, leaning in to kiss her.

eventually, we had to get up and join the others. they were playing beach volleyball again, and chan was motioning us to join them because the needed more players.

it was a fun and lighthearted game, and we all laughed and joked around as we played. but every now and then, I would catch a glimpse of minji and minjeong standing off to the side, watching us. it distracted me a lot.

it was strange, the way they were always watching us. it felt like we were in a horror movie.

after the game, we all sat down and watched the sunset. it was a beautiful sight, and we were all quiet as we took in the view.

as the sun dipped below the horizon, I felt a sense of peace wash over me. it was like all the worries and doubts that had been plaguing me earlier had disappeared.

suddenly, my phone rang. I got a text notification.

my breath became shaky as I looked at it.