Chapter Twenty Three

Now that we were in the sunlight, I feel my heart start slowing at a normal rate again, until a loud resounding slap hits the building window making all of us jump at the sudden unexpected noise. I swing my head back to the front to see whatever creature that was throw something that was definitely bloody and looking like pieces of flesh.

My stomach clenches at the image, staring at it with horror. The fact that it threw body parts at us was downright disturbing. Someone just takes a hold of my shoulders and gently pulls me to look away completely, and to walk back to where the girl was still lying on the ground a few dozen feet away in the parking lot.

I tried my hardest to get rid of the images in my brain, but it was really hard to do. All I wanted was to get this shit over with and get the hell out of this place. I don't think I could stand another moment longer here. And there was no way I was just going to sit around and let my life be hindered and constantly on the watch because of these asshole things.

I was going to do something about it damn it. Because there just had to be a way. A way to where we all can go home safely.

None of us says a word as we quickly and quietly create a makeshift pyre from the wooden beams that Jacob and I were able to retrieve before all hell broke loose in the hardware store. I stand back with Zared just next to me as we watch Lacy and Lani wrap the girl in the sheets that we were able to snatch from the houses.

Then both Seth and Jacob lifted her onto the pyre and stood back as we all stared at our handiwork. Seth clears his throat and looks to each of us.

"Should we say a few words?"

"None of us knew who she was. Not sure on what to say really." Lani speaks up finally, looking a bit freaked out still.

"I hate that you were stuck in this place." Zared suddenly speaks loudly, making us all look over to him.

He stared right at the dead girl, his eyes looking sad and a bit angry. "I'm sorry that you had to live your last hours, dealing with those horrifying things. To spend your last night in terror with no one to be there with you, that you were completely alone. You didn't deserve to die like that. And you sure as hell didn't deserve to end up here in this shithole. We hope you can find peace now and that all your fears had faded away at the end. I promise when we get back to our real home, I'll find out who you are so we can give your family the closure they deserve."

I couldn't help but just stare at him. He doesn't look over to me as he just continues to stare straight ahead. Looking down at his limp hand that was hanging by his side, I couldn't help to slip my own into his carefully. He doesn't push me away, instead his snatches on and links our fingers together tightly in a grip.

I look back at the others as they now start the process to lite the body and wood on fire. Lani had gathered twigs and dead leaves while we had been building the wooden platform and Lacy had a lighter on her already in one of the many pockets of her jacket, which now I understood why she was quick to grab it this morning.

It wasn't hard to find random trash and paper lying around since this part of the city looked like a tiny wind tornado had flew by to disrupt the abandonment of the area. So, with the thin sheet, the body had gone up in flames and the wood was quick to burn.

We all stood there together as we just watch the flames build higher and higher. At one point it got so hot that we actually had to take a step back from it. The smell of burnt flesh was horrible so I covered my nose with the sleeve of my sweater and just continued to watch.