Chapter Sixty Two

I stare up at the old building seeing that there was a gaping hole on one side of it. I could hear rushing raging water from the river that looked like it was going to start overflowing if the rain didn't stop anytime soon. Which was very concerning in itself. On the other side of the building was a giant wooden pinwheel that sat there covered in growing mold and moss.

I stare up to the top and frown seeing that it was more of flat top than a slanted one like most old mills were. Zared takes a hold of my hand and begins to pull me inside with him through the hole. Once inside, I look around to see that rainwater was leaking through broken parts of the roof. It smelt of musk and decay.

It was freaking cold inside too.

There was a large circular contraption in the center of the place. A few wool bags filled with what I assumed was flour or wheat. The stuff wasn't any good either with them being on the damp and wet floor like they were. A large iron pole went all the way into the second floor and past to the ceiling.

There were wooden stairs to one side heading to the second landing. A few broken windows here and there and further in the back was daker, more cramped then the rest of the place.

"We should head up the stairs and camp up there until the storm passes and some sun comes out for us to head back home." Zared whispers as he was checking the place out as well.

Home.

I never really considered the golf course to be our home. But the way things have been it might as well be if we're never going to get back to our real home. I shake the thought off and follow him up the stairs. We both immediately stop at the first creaks of the old wooden planks.

He turns to look at me, slowly exhaling his breath. He then takes a slow step, trying hard to keep the pressure to a minimum like it was freaking possible or something. I follow suit and he made it look way easier than it actually was.

Once we both reached the floor we each exhaled the breath we were both holding in. Carefully placing the bag on the ground, I look around to see this part of the place basically empty of anything. A few tools and empty sack bags but that was pretty much it.

I look out the window that was just across the way to see the storm getting worse, the clouds all but gloomy and grey. There was another small section of the roof, but this one a bit more slanted than the one on top. It pointed straight to the river and the brush of trees. Part of the wheel was next to it.

Looking away I couldn't stop the shivering of the cold being completely soaked now. We find a spot where there were empty wooden crates and we both sit down on them. Zared starts going through his pack only to curse quietly.

"Everything's wet." He sighs dejectedly.

Which means we were stuck in these wet clothes and had nothing to wrap ourselves in either. That was just great. Another set of trembling shoots through me. He quickly comes in front of me and starts to rub my arms to get me to warm up. It was only helping a little.

"Come here." He whispers as he settles down on the ground, pulling me close to him.

We wrap each other as best we could to try and gather some body heat. "Probably should have waited until tomorrow to look for food." He sighs and all I could do was nod, my teeth beginning to chatter now.

I felt his body shiver, prompting me to get even closer and warm him up as well. We sat there, both just thinking on what to do next, for the longest time. Eventually the pounding of the rain mixed with the silence between the two of us was causing my eyes to droop. I suddenly started to feel tired. Leaning my head against his shoulder, I close my eyes.