Chapter Twenty Seven

The screams wouldn't stop. But they weren't getting any louder either. It was still too close for comfort. All gone were the feelings of irritation, jealousy, and sublime happiness of the last half hour. We all scrambled out of bed.

Zared and I both raced to the door, pulling it wide open to spill out into the hall only to find Lacy and Leo coming out of their own rooms. Leo's eyes were wide in shock as the screams from outside continued on.

"What the hell is that?" Seth stumbles out of the room that Mateo was in, also looking shocked with a little fear.

As soon as he says that the screaming completely stops. We all stood in the hallway staring at each other as if none of us knew what to do.

Then, "LACY!! CHUCK!!"

My head swings to the door leading to the stairs, the voice of Jacob loud and clear. The old man doesn't waste time as he rushes out, closely followed by all the others. I go to follow as well but movement from the corner of my eye stops me, and I curse when I see Mateo trying to get out of bed.

He was struggling as he tried to get his injured leg off the mattress, sweat beading his forehead.

"What do you think you're doing?" I rush to ask as I get him to stop moving before he does anymore damage that has already been done.

"You heard those screams. They sounded way to close. If we're going to be attacked then I rather be already standing than struggling to get up as it's happening, thank you very much." His voice was strained as pain washed over his features making him turn a pasty pale.

"I totally get that. But we're not even sure what's going on right now and you shouldn't be moving that leg at all. Even if you were standing, its not like you can walk, much less run, Mateo." I stress, forcing him to sit his ass back down.

He hisses when his butt hits the bed causing a slight bounce that jars his wounded leg.

"Shit, sorry!" I quickly say, wincing at the tactless way I had just done that to him.

He waves my hands away sighing deeply. "This is such bullshit!" He spats, suddenly looking angry. "What the hell am I supposed to do then? I can't just lie here waiting to die, Jinsen." He then sounded hopeless. His eyes downcast and pleading.

"You honestly think we're just going to let that happen?" A deep voice says behind me, making us both swirl to face the newcomer. Zared stomps into the room nearly coming face to face with him.

"We're not going to let you die. Being up here is the safest place to be right now. And you can't think like that either. Let us deal with what's going on out there. Your sole purpose at the moment is to heal properly so we all can make it out of this shithole together."

He leans down to place a hand on his shoulder, looking him straight in the eyes. "We got your back, bro. We won't leave you behind or have you fight on your own."

I couldn't help softening towards him as the words spilled out of his mouth. The fact that he came back up here to see what was going on told me he was more attentive than he led on.

"What he said." I smile, looking back at my friend.

"Well, I mean, I don't want to be a burden too." He states meekly, looking down at his hands on his lap.

"You won't be. We're all in this together and whether you're losing a limb or slowing us down, you'll never be a burden. You're our friend and we're here for you no matter what."

Another sudden scream lets out causing us to jump and this time it sounded a lot closer than before. I couldn't help but whip my head to the boarded-up window. Even though we couldn't see anything with the wooden planks blocking our view.