Chapter Eighty Three

Hours had passed and I couldn't sleep at all. I laid there on the ground next to Kyle as he softly snores away. I was glad he was getting some sleep. I was afraid after almost being raped that he would have nightmares and insomnia. But maybe knowing he was surrounded by people he trusted he felt safe enough to close his eyes.

Me on the other hand, knowing I was just hours away from looking for Jinsen I was too wired and anxious to get some shut eye. I felt like I was just a moments away from finding him and throwing his body against mine while never letting him go ever again.

Carefully turning on my side, I wince from the slight pull and sigh deeply. Another reason why I couldn't sleep. This wound was making it hard too. A sudden howl pierces in the distance causing me to tense my muscles then I instantly relax when I realize it was just the wind that was picking up drastically outside.

Sitting up, I try to make as little noise as possible. Casey was on Kyle's other side and just like him she was passed out. I was glad they both were, they could use the sleep. Leaning forward I look around the counter to see Lacy still sitting on the crate next to the front door, gun lying against her shoulder as she stares out through a tear in the newspaper that was plastered all over the windows.

Getting up without disturbing the others, I walk over to her and crouch down by her side. She doesn't even bother to look my way. Neither of us say a word as she continues to look out. I so badly wanted to ask her if the others were going to make it at all, but it wasn't a good time as it was still pitch black out there.

After moments of silence with the wind hitting the windows a torrent of rain clashed to the ground and on the roof, the sound welcoming to my ears. The bitter coldness seeped through the cracks, and I couldn't help shivering, crossing my arms over my chest to keep my warmth in.

She suddenly leans forward; her nose practically touching the glass in the ripped area and then points her finger for me to look. Crawling over I look through where she was seeing and there was nothing but darkness. But then I hear the faint sounds just below the pitter patter of the rain.

A slow dragging sound which was only intensifying through the mud and puddles that were beginning to collect on the open dirt road. We hear the creature, but don't see it and I'm reminded of the hotel me and Jinsen were stuck to stay in and nearly got caught by the same type of monster. The flashes of memory hits my mind's eye, and I tensed even more. The strong feeling of nostalgia hits me tenfold and all I wanted was to be near him again. To be with him in this very moment.

A flash of light lit the sky, and I held my breath as the creature was in full view. It was like it didn't even care that it was pouring out there, that it was getting soaked and wasn't in any hurry to get out of it.

It just kept walking slowly unmindful of its surroundings. I frown learning that. Were they only driven by human flesh? Were they so undomestic that they just roam around like wild animals? It was something to think about. Because if they weren't as smart as we thought they were then our chances may be better than we think.

Lacy and I sit there watching the thing pass the old store not aware we were here at all. It's hands were just dragging behind them, its fingers long and sharp. The body was thin, tall, and hairless like most of them were. I couldn't see its face since it was too dark, but it stood well over seven feet tall. Something I definitely didn't want to face head on.

Once it was out of our sight we both release a sigh of relief. I lean back against the glass door of one of the refrigerators that housed drinks that stood empty, like everything else in this place. Leaning my head back I close my eyes hoping to get some sort of sleep at least but it was hopeless.

After another hour or so the sky started to brighten up in a dull grey color and I knew sunrise was just moments away.

"Fuck." Lacy curses quietly as she continues to never stray her eyesight from the opening.

I nudge her to get her attention since I wasn't sure if it was safe enough to really talk yet. She snaps her head at me with a scowl that I honestly don't think she can help with making. I nod with a frown of my own indicating her to elaborate what got her so worked up over.

She sighs, her lips going thin. "Its daybreak but the clouds are obstructing the sun. With the heavy rain it looks like its going to cause an overcast."

Oh, damn.

"What are we going to do?" I whisper looking over to Kyle and Casey who were both still out.

She moves the gun and stands up, groaning from sitting for so long. "Not much can be helped. We can't stay here. We have to get moving to create distance from the cathedral."

Hearing that I get up and start waking the others. If she says we needed to get moving then I wasn't going to argue. She knew that place better than I did, and she knew the kinds of people they were. I wasn't taking a chance if it got me to searching for the one person I couldn't live without.

Standing to my full height as I whispered to them, "We need to get moving. It's morning." I felt the stiffness and soreness of my body wishing it would hurry the hell up and heal already.

Neither of them argued either as they grabbed what they can carry, and we all headed out. We stand behind Lacy as she carefully opens the door and peers outside for the clear all. When she steps out fully, she checks all surroundings and beckons us to follow. The rain was a slow drizzle which I was thankful for.

"What about the others?" Casey asks in a low tone, staying close to Kyle's side.

"Leo knows what to do when he finds us not here. We had this planned out for a while now. So, I'm not worried about them."

I was glad to hear that, but I didn't like knowing that Alex wouldn't be traveling with us. How would we know if he'll be alright or if he's in danger? I didn't like it but there was nothing to be done. We were going to have to leave him behind. If Jinsen could hear my thoughts right now he would throw a fit and more than likely hit me for being so inconsiderate of the situation.

And that little thought was enough to bring a small smile to my face.

Quickly wiping it off not wanting the others to think I was taking this light heartedly; I look to them each to find none of them paying attention to me anyways. We start treading along on the road, keeping an eye out for anything that should cause us alarm. But so far everything was okay.

Taking up the rear end of the group I couldn't help looking back behind us, hoping to see any kind of glimpse of the others. But all I saw was the town fading even further behind us and the abandoned open road we were walking on.