Chapter Forty Two

"What the fuck." Leo whispers, crouching down even further like that was going to help in hiding us.

"What's going on? Who are those people?" Lani asks, looking way more confused and frightened than before.

"I don't know. But I don't care to find out either. It appears it was a set up all along." Lacy grits out as she scans the area all around us.

I quickly look to Christina who was shaking with wide eyes staring straight down at the ground. Something told me she knew about the people that were still talking loudly, jeering, and causing fits of laughter everywhere. I couldn't even tell which direction their voices were coming from.

Crouching down in front of her I ask, "You know who they are don't you?"

As soon as I say that everyone looks over to the two of us. Zared kneels right next to me, watching her as much as I was. Leo scuffles next to his cousin looking at me with an accusatory stare.

"What the hell are you trying to get at Jinsen?" He snaps.

"I'm not suggesting anything, Leo. I just want to know if she knew about them, that's all."

"It's a valid fucking question, Leo." Lacy snaps right back, looking a bit pissed herself.

"Woohoo! I know you all are still there! Didn't think little miss sunshine would have lived! But look at her brining back more prey for us like a good little solider she is!"

Another round of laughter sounds around the streets. We all stare at her now. She was already shaking her head hysterically, tears running down her face, biting her lower lip until I see blood beginning to drip. I quickly reach up to get her to stop gnawing it.

"Christina, it's okay. Just tell us what's going on that's all we care about right now."

"Like fucking hell we do. If she brought us here for those fuckers, I'm going to be damn fucking pissed." Lacy growls, holding her weapon close to her just in case.

I give her a hard glare. "Not helping." I hiss.

"Stop it the both of you." Zared leans closer to our friend. "What did they threaten you with?"

We all wait for her to respond. For a moment I didn't think she was going too until she says, "We left to find help, honestly, we did. But they threatened me that if I didn't bring back more people, they were going to kill the rest of my group. They p-promised...I'm sorry, I'm so sorry!" Sobs rack out of her as her head turns down to the ground, her body shaking.

I look over to Zared with a worry frown. He pats her shoulder, turning to me as well. "So, she was tricked. They never planned to hold that promise. The question is though, why? Why do they need survivors? Just to torture them?"

"No, they use others, so they don't get eaten by the monsters. They use the rest of us as bait for the location. If they provide food, then they're immune to be eaten alive like the rest of us."

I stare at her in complete shock. Was that even possible? But how? I didn't think these things even communicated with humans, much less make bargains with us. Lacy just stares in anger and disbelief. Lani's tears were once again falling and Leo just stared at the ground, his eyes moving back and forth in thought.

"Let's play a little game to make things more fun! Marcoooo!"

My shoulders tense at the sound of glee coming from the man's mouth. My breathing was becoming harsher as the anger and fear was starting to overwhelm me. Zared's hand lands on my back, rubbing it trying to get me to calm down. But how was I supposed to when lunatics such as these assholes were roaming around trying to kill us?