VI

WARNING: Mild racism

Unfortunately, James had miscalculated how long it would take to reach the knights' post.

ㅤHe had tried his best to stall for time, with the hope that the knight would settle for the night and give him a chance to escape. However, this man wasn't taking chances, and had dragged James along whether he liked it or not.

ㅤ"I'm not him." James had tried to protest earlier on their walk, "Jay has been killing for decades, I'm in my twenties."

ㅤAlex had given him a sideways glance, but did not say anything otherwise.

ㅤHis panic had continuously grown over their walk, realising that, with the pace he was forced to go at, he would be back in the town before it got too late.

ㅤIt was cutting it close, but it was already dark by the time they had reached the cells and James got thrown into one after being stripped naked; his weapons and clothes being taken from him.

ㅤJames grazed his hands on the rough stone after being pushed inside, tripping onto the floor with a skid.

ㅤHe turned to glare, but the man locking the door was not the knight that had brought him here.

ㅤJames clenched his fists on the ground, gritting his teeth against the frustration.

ㅤCalm. He needed to be calm.

ㅤAfter a moment to gather composure, he got up and sat against the wall, covering his nakedness with his legs and trying to keep his core temperature comfortable.

ㅤHe watched keenly, beyond the bars, as knights walked by with their torches; some alone, some laughing with each other. He tried to memorise every face he saw, and did his best to map the hierarchy of command from their behaviour.

ㅤPerhaps it was because it was the night shift, but the prison was not nearly as active as he expected, with long drags of silence where only a single guard will be on duty here.

ㅤ"What are you looking for?" a female voice asked.

ㅤJames looked to his left, squinting to see a woman in the cell next to him.

ㅤThese cells weren't absolutely secure, since there was only one hard wall, and the other three were barred - two against the cells either side. It would make it easy for criminals to talk to each other, as proven.

ㅤThe woman next to him was gorgeous and, unlike him, was clothed. The long ribbons and light material did not cover much, but was probably still warmer than nothing at all.

ㅤ"A way out." he said vaguely, not bothering to lie.

ㅤShe hummed, humouring him, and shifted closer to the bars, her dainty hands wrapping around the dark, thick rusting rail.

ㅤ"What are you in for?"

ㅤJames tried to avoid looking at her breasts, instead glancing at her face. "Carving rude messages on the front door."