LXXII

"Stay on guard," Harrison warned

"Stay on guard," Harrison warned. He was leading the pack from the front, calling over his shoulder. "And stay together! They will try to ambush us again and we'll have power in numbers!"

ㅤMorning clouds were sneaking low in the sky. It was like they were wrapped in dark grey cloth, smeared above them. The world was dim, the perfect level of light to accommodate James' vision troubles.

ㅤMidges and mosquitoes drew to their sweaty sticky skin like honey, the muggy dampness summoning them in hoards. It wasn't feasible to cover themselves to protect from bites in this heat. The men had to allow their blood to be gorged upon by the greedy blighters.

ㅤJames watched Fletcher frown at his wrist, scratching it. He expected to hear verbal complaints from the scholar but they never came. Fletcher dropped his arm and made no attempt to swat the insects away, staring hollowly in front of him.

ㅤHe looked older.

ㅤThomas grimaced. "I wish I'd brought some sage with me."

ㅤ"Someone would track the trail of smoke it would leave behind," Fletcher replied, simply.

ㅤYufus, who had been close beside Harrison as the leader of the mercenaries, suddenly fell back, pulling his horse beside Alex's.

ㅤ"I'm sorry about your brother. I would've stayed with him but I have to follow this contract."

ㅤ"Thank you."

ㅤ"He will be okay," Yufus insisted.

ㅤ"I know."

ㅤAccepting the hint, Yufus kicked his horse forward, returning to the front of the pack. Alex watched after him.

ㅤJames wasn't as polite of other people's boundaries.

ㅤ"How bad was the injury?"

ㅤ"He lost his fighting arm and one of his feet. He might lose the whole leg."

ㅤJames frowned at this. "Why didn't you tell me?"

ㅤAlex gave him a significant look. "I didn't think you'd find it relevant."

ㅤAlex had been both right and wrong in his assumption. It wasn't relevant to James at all but he still wanted to hear about it.

ㅤ"You don't need to be so careful around me anymore," James insisted. "We're now significant to each other. Partners. We made a deal."

ㅤ"It's not about making deals. But, thank you."

ㅤAlex was entirely unconvinced, dismissing James' words. To James, their deal was the formalisation of their companionship; it was evidence that they cared for one another as well as the promise to continue to care. He didn't understand why Alex didn't become giddy at the concept like he did.

ㅤ"Do you like your brother?" James pried, wanting to displace Alex's discomfort to another topic.

ㅤAlex shifted in his saddle. His voice came out gruff. "I... like what he isn't. I'm not an animal to him. That's what matters."