XXXVIII

Many drinks through and James was finding it hard to focus his eyes, the already confusing world blurring around the edges

Many drinks through and James was finding it hard to focus his eyes, the already confusing world blurring around the edges. He held out another beer for Alex, trying to keep his hand steady as he teased it in front of the man.

ㅤ"You seem like you're having fun," Alex hummed, sitting in the same seat he'd kept for the last half hour. Alex had claimed that the previous drink would be his last but James wasn't going to accept that so easily. He was owed a dance.

ㅤJames grabbed Alex's hand and tried to cup it around the beer, but Alex pulled it away before he could.

ㅤ"You're the one who told me to ply you with drinks," James huffed.

ㅤ"That's because I thought you'd stay sober. One of us needs to stay alert."

ㅤJames rolled his eyes. He'd had people seeking his bloodied head on a stake since his very first murder. If anyone knew their limits, it was him.

ㅤ"Eris is sober. She'll let me know if something is off."

ㅤAlex narrowed his eyes in suspicion but finally took the cup for himself. "Are you sure it works like that?"

ㅤ"Come on, drink already. She'll do us this favour."

ㅤJames' heart pounded in anticipation once Alex gave in. The locals were still dancing and singing around them, whipping up a fizzing excitement that James couldn't wait to be a part of. But, he knew the crowd wouldn't have the energy to do it forever. It was so loud he wondered if their other companions upstairs would be able to sleep.

ㅤAlex finished his beer in mere seconds, tapping his chest in discomfort. "Another."

ㅤJames grinned and bowed, much to the amusement of the other man. "At your command, My Lordship."

ㅤThe barmaid had a wry smile on her face when she saw him approaching yet again. He rapped his knuckles against the bar, drumming out his bouncy high.

ㅤ"Another one so quick?" she asked, leaning in so he could hear.

ㅤJames winked and held up two fingers. "My companion over there is a quick drinker."

ㅤShe glanced over his shoulder in amusement. "For a big fella like that, you're going to need a lot more than two."

ㅤJames gestured grandly to the barrels behind her. "Lucky for me, it seems you might just have enough."

ㅤShe chuckled and poured him three.

ㅤBy the time he'd managed to get back to Alex, all of the beers were missing volume, it had been a difficult task to balance them all in his tipsy state whilst navigating through the swaths of jumping drunken fools. James' hands were wet with spilled booze.

ㅤAlex had to hold his cup out to the side to let the spill drip away before he could move it over his lap.

ㅤ"Where did you even get the money to buy all this?" Alex asked after finishing the first one.