IX

It wasn't that Alex never suspected his colleagues, more than he wasn't allowed to

ㅤWhen his father told him to keep his eyes off his peers at the station house, as much as it made Alex want to scream, it was an order he had to obey. He had no choice but to accept it.

ㅤThat's why, when that woman came up to him urgently about a civilian carrying a kid towards the border, he'd become consumed by hateful excitement. He dropped everything he was doing and ran. It was a chance to enact some justice, perhaps enough to somewhat soothe his guilt. He had no idea he was going to stumble upon a much bigger fish in the process.

ㅤWhilst child kidnapping was never something Jay had been rumoured to do, that man knew way too much about it for Alex to give him the benefit of the doubt. For someone as cold and money-hungry as him, as well as knowing the knights' complicity, it wasn't an unreasonable assumption to suggest he took part in it.

ㅤAlex bit the inside of his lip out of frustration, pissed off about having to deal with someone so disgusting.

ㅤHe knew Jay only agreed so he could escape with that dumb sword. And Jay knew that Alex knew that. Even if they pretended otherwise for the time being, both of them knew Jay would run the moment he had a chance.

ㅤAlex was just lucky Jay had a strange attachment to that relic.

ㅤOnce they made it to Lyechester, and he got that thing back, there was going to be absolutely nothing to stop him from running rampant. Heads would roll. But, that would no longer be Alex's business, his work would be done by then. He only had to worry about the present.

ㅤThinking of the devil, two of his subordinates dragged him out to the stable area. Jay caught him with his eyes immediately, nodding as if to say 'look at how well behaved I am'. Alex couldn't help the involuntary shiver that came with Jay's escorts' complete lack of awareness.

ㅤThey pulled Jay to him, a little too roughly. "Your Lordship."

ㅤAlex acknowledged them, but couldn't help but do a double take and inspect Jay's appearance with how different it was. After his wash, his hair was much more golden than the original dirty blonde he seemed to have, red and bronze hues hailed the sun, giving a shine to the mess after the matts had been brushed out. Although his hair had been kept short, unusually, the front was long enough to obscure his eyes, adding on the extra challenge of trying to read his thoughts.

ㅤWith the right mannerisms, he'd look like a completely ordinary non-murderous gentleman, which was scary to think about.

ㅤThe clothes he had been given were simple, but did much to hide the abuse he had received the day before. The bruises on his face remained, but Jay hardly seemed to notice the pain; if the lizard was able to feel pain at all, that was. More severe than that, the scars on his arms were red, white and angry, uncovered by the short sleeves.