XLII

James had been excessively quiet that morning and it had annoyed him to end

James had been excessively quiet that morning and it had annoyed him to end. Alex already had a lot on his mind, trying to work out what they were going to do about Prince Maurice, how Riley could affect their chances of getting into Korcaster's archives. James was the last thing he wanted to think about.

ㅤ"I came along to help with this," Riley had assured him, their horses pulled close to each other, "I always knew this was going to be dangerous. That's my job, my noblesse oblige."

ㅤAlex had thanked him for saying so, but it didn't make the task any simpler.

ㅤA part of him had meant what he'd told James; that sometimes he just wanted to murder everyone in this godforsaken kingdom. With their deaths, he could finally be at peace, be unburdened. Most of them would deserve it, that's for sure. He'd envied that aspect of James, the sense of freedom, like he could spread his arms and let the wind guide his next adventure. Free.

ㅤBut, Alex wasn't like that. He had people he needed to protect back home. Not all of the kingdom's people deserved death. It was a big place and there were many kind people in it. There were many children, who were yet to be tainted and stained by adults, pure souls. So, he couldn't let them die.

ㅤHe doubted that his mindset came from selflessness, he knew he wasn't that good. A person without a meaning in life would often succumb to ennui and fall into to the sweet seduction of suicide. He needed the distraction to live.

ㅤ"The Theos palace sounds like a bloodbath, right now," Alex remarked, feeling out the risk.

ㅤRiley didn't sugarcoat it. "It is. Luckily for us, Prince Maurice might be a murderous glutton, but he's no idiot. Even if you fuck up, Lord Alexander Chamberlain, he wouldn't kill you so brazenly. Despite your race."

ㅤAlex's race hadn't needed to be brought up. "And what about you?"

ㅤRiley shrugged with one of those signature fake smiles. "Occupational hazard."

ㅤAlex didn't like that answer. He didn't want to be responsible for any deaths, any spilling of blood would be his fault as the leader.

ㅤHe glanced over his shoulder, at the rest of their small team; Thomas, Fletcher, James.

ㅤ"They're at risk too," he said.

ㅤRiley scrutinised his face, seeking something. "Of course they are, no one was ever going to be safe there. James especially. Prince Maurice might recognise him."

ㅤ"Is he really that recognisable?"

ㅤRiley tilted his head side to side, weighing it up. "Yes and no. His colouring is very distinct, but people have long forgotten his existence. He was a dead little boy from fifteen years ago, like many other dead little boys in history. He was never that notable in the first place. A prince, yes, but one prince of a dozen. I doubt he's on anyone's mind."