XXIV

They packed their stuff up, the two knights hauling the blankets and other items back into the wagon and prepared the bad-tempered horses

They packed their stuff up, the two knights hauling the blankets and other items back into the wagon and prepared the bad-tempered horses. Fletcher sustained he couldn't assist them because he was physically weak whilst James didn't give an excuse and instead laid down on his back on the grass, stretching out and sunning like a cat. Even though Thomas gave him the stink eye for his laziness, he didn't dare challenge him. Alex, on the other hand, was avoiding eye contact altogether, as if ignoring him made him stop existing. He doubted anyone else noticed the strange behaviour, the man was normally a grouch in the best of moods.

ㅤHe could hear the faint delicate steps of Ino approaching him from behind and he didn't move, closing his eyes to enjoy the warmth. The orange light that played his eyelids was suddenly gone and darkened, her body blocking the sun and casting a shadow upon him.

ㅤ"You're blocking my sun." he informed her, not opening his eyes.

ㅤ"You're lying in my shadow." she shot back.

ㅤJames waited but she didn't move, nor did she say anything more. He cracked open one eye, looking up at her in disdain. She wore the same soul-sucking black dress as the day before and gloves on her hand that hadn't been there before. James frowned at them.

ㅤ"What's with the gloves?" James asked. The weather was too warm for extra accessories, James himself was sweating under his newly-replaced arm covering.

ㅤ"I've come to an unsettling conclusion." Ino articulated carefully.

ㅤJames nodded ruefully. "Your wardrobe."

ㅤShe lowered herself down next to him, her movements slow and deliberate. James himself often moved in the same way and he wondered if it was the result of growing up in slums, where others would look for any opportunity to strike at someone they think is unsuspecting. They had nothing else in common, other than their affinity for death.

ㅤ"Not my fashion sense, no. I'm meant to dress modestly. I just think you should be careful."

ㅤJames gave her one long inspection and then closed his eyes again, losing interest. "I don't need to be careful about my outfit, my good looks make up for it."

ㅤ"I think there's a lot about relics that we still don't know." she went on, undeterred. "Don't let Eris act without your permission."

ㅤInterest rekindled, James opened his eyes again to read her face.

ㅤ"What makes you say that?"

ㅤIno looked at him out of the corner of her gaze, her lips pressing together. "You'll realise soon."

ㅤJames clicked his tongue. "Do you get off on being so cryptic, or what?"

ㅤIno watched the two knights bicker in the background. "You wouldn't believe me if I said it out loud, so you need to put this puzzle together yourself."