LII

Thomas watched the two men work

ㅤHe sat at the foot of Fletcher's bed, hoping his silent presence could offer some comfort to the scholar. Alex hadn't given him any further orders once he'd settled, so he assumed his superior approved.

ㅤThomas wasn't a very intelligent man, nor was he passionate— this, he knew. He wouldn't be of any help scouring the files for any answers, but he was valuable in that he would never lie to his team. He liked to believe that this would be enough.

ㅤWhilst Alex was at the desk, James had moved around, erratically like a moth. He'd gone from his bed, to the window sill, to sitting on the floor, where he currently was. Thomas took notice of the way Alex's eyes would routinely follow the other man, trying to read him.

ㅤ"Did you just find something?" Alex asked.

ㅤThomas found it interesting. James' face had shown no change to him, just as cryptic as it always had been. Yet, Alex saw something.

ㅤ"Just a name I recognise," James assured him. "It's weird to think these people are still alive."

ㅤThomas was creeped out by the comment, his brows furrowing. He didn't think he was scared of death, but he couldn't treat the idea with such sincerely callous carelessness as James could.

ㅤInstead of disgust, Alex's gaze seemed to linger, unbeknownst to James, with what appeared to be sympathy.

ㅤThomas wanted to scoff. A charming psycho, indeed. It wasn't right to say that James had Alex wrapped around his pinkie, but he certainly had a foot beyond the impenetrable wall that Alex had understandably erected. Alex had been charmed, whether he liked it or not.

ㅤ"Why wouldn't they be alive?" Thomas challenged, experimentally.

ㅤJames didn't spare him a glance, his attention on the pages in his hands. He didn't take notes like Alex did, going through each document in no particular order, and Thomas wondered how seriously James was taking the situation.

ㅤ"Because I haven't seen them for some time," James replied.

ㅤBut, why would that mean they're dead?

ㅤThomas simply couldn't understand him.

ㅤJust as Riley had advised him the night before, perhaps he shouldn't bother trying. He didn't like that his boss was so wrapped up in James' manipulative ways, but it wasn't as if Alex was innocent either. It might've been better to leave them be so they could find their own equilibrium.

ㅤThomas patted Fletcher's leg through the covers.

ㅤ"Hey, want to come to the temple with me?" he asked gently.

ㅤFletcher's body moved but there was no response and Thomas sighed. Riley had snapped out of his slump earlier, but it seemed they'd pushed Fletcher too far in Korcaster.