LIV

Harrison and his men had left to complete a task immediately after they'd returned to the inn, citing it was an emergency

Harrison and his men had left to complete a task immediately after they'd returned to the inn, citing it was an emergency. James hadn't really cared one way or another, but Alex had seemed troubled by this, concerned for his older brother.

ㅤThey said they'd be back by the next day and Harrison had warned them to stay put.

ㅤThat was fine. James didn't mind it there. He hadn't been in Athel's Lynn since he was a child so it felt fresh to him.

ㅤDuring the day, he sparred with Thomas, proud that the knight had been improving. By the time dark was falling, Thomas dragged Fletcher out of their room to force him to take a break, taking them all to a pub. Riley was already there when they arrived and James had been told off by Alex for bursting into laughter over that fact.

ㅤAlex didn't understand, though. Riley thrived better when mocked. It returned the flame of fight within him. If anything, he was doing the snake a favour.

ㅤHe spent most of his time there staring at Alex, admiring him. All of their skins had darkened in the sun, but Alex's was glowing, his face smooth. His lashes were long and thick, fluttering when he became nervous by the odd comment made by the others.

ㅤRiley had seen that he'd been staring, pointing this out, and James had told him: "It's only the same way you look at your wine."

ㅤHe'd earned criticism from everyone at that point but he was in a good mood, so he didn't care.

ㅤBored by the conversation, a neat little idea formed in his head, an opportunity presenting itself.

ㅤ"I'm going back early," he murmured in Alex's ear.

ㅤAlex brushed a hand on his arm, stopping him from leaving. "Why?"

ㅤJames didn't give an answer, only a noncommittal shrug, and left.

ㅤHe knew Alex. He knew he would soon be followed.

ㅤAt the inn, he went straight to the bathroom, stealing a towel and using their facilities. The water was warm and comforting. He took longer than usual, a plan in mind.

ㅤHe returned to the room, not bothering to get dressed. He knew that such an effort would become undone regardless.

ㅤAlex came through the door, just as James' had predicted, shocked by his nakedness.

ㅤAs soon as the door clicked shut, James wasted no time pouncing on Alex, delving both hands into Alex's hair and claiming his lips. Alex grunted in surprise and James took the opportunity to shove his tongue in, pulling back Alex's head to give him better access. It was filthy, going as deep as he could, but the taste of wine on Alex's lips was just as addictive and rich as the man himself.

ㅤRegaining self-control, Alex shoved him away, biting James' lip to pry him away.

ㅤJames touched the wound, the skin split, and he laughed, the pain making him feel hotter.