XVI

Truthfully, James had been too jumpy and uneasy to even consider sleep

Truthfully, James had been too jumpy and uneasy to even consider sleep. He was sure nothing would have felt better than sinking into a mattress for the first time in weeks but his body needed to keep moving. It was taking all his will to stop himself from running away.

ㅤ"You're like a lost lamb." James commented, even if he was smiling on the outside he felt sorely hostile to his annoying shadow.

ㅤHe had decided to leave his room and go for yet another walk, much to Thomas' displeasure. James had to give credit where it was due, Thomas was so patient with him that it was painful; any normal person would have snapped by that point.

ㅤ"I'm sorry you feel that way." Thomas plainly apologised.

ㅤNo he wasn't.

ㅤJames continued paced the corridors, much to the surprise of the servants that rounded the corner.

ㅤ"Ah, good morning, sir, you're awake." the footman stuttered, clearly unsure how to address him.

ㅤ"What does he want?" James cut straight to the point.

ㅤThe poor servant flinched, James hadn't stopped his angst from sharpening his tone.

ㅤ"His Majesty wishes to see you in his study, we're here to guide you."

ㅤ"No, thank you." James declined, firmly. One lost lamb following him around was enough, any more of them and he might become venomous. "Thomas will show me, I'm sure."

ㅤThe servants looked to Thomas for guidance, receiving a nod from him. That was good enough and they scuttled away like a herd of sheep.

ㅤJames took a quick breather, looking out the window as if he could calm his body with the illusion of freedom, the waking city stretched out before him.

ㅤ"What was Alex doing earlier?" James asked, it had been playing on his mind for a while now.

ㅤ"I couldn't tell you if I knew."

ㅤThat meant Thomas didn't know, which meant it was unlikely official business relating to him. He was thankful that some people didn't think before they spoke— it gave so much information to James.

ㅤWhat had caught James' attention the most was the wound on Alex's cheek, it looked as if he'd been assaulted. It pissed him off.

ㅤ"His cheek?" James turned around to gauge Thomas' shuttered expression.

ㅤ"Not for me to say."

ㅤHe'd find out soon anyway.

ㅤJames sighed, long and hard, willing his stiff body to relax. The last thing he wanted was to meet King William whilst agitated. He needed to be more careful than a feather on water from this point on.

ㅤOnce James was ready, Thomas led him through the palace, the sight of bustling maids and civil servants felt so natural that James' stomach twisted from the nostalgia. Even if he was back in a place like this, he was still the James that spent years living amongst commoners, that was for sure. Scarily, though, there was a small part of him, deep in his gut, that wanted to break out of its cage. The familiarity of it all compromised his identity.