XXIX

The bedroom was a lot darker than when they'd left it

The bedroom was a lot darker than when they'd left it. The evening light had completely subsided and the candles James had lit had mostly burned to their ends, leaving only a small lamp on the bedside table to guide them.

ㅤJames immediately went for the bed, catching his toe and nearly tripping on a rug on the floor on his way, cursing under his breath. The thought that such a careful-footed man was so rushed that he'd stumbled made Alex laugh. James glared at him in the dark, but the heat in his gaze wasn't only malice.

ㅤ"If you laugh again I'm pushing you off the balcony." James growled, pointing accusingly.

ㅤAlex did his best to hide his grin behind his hand, trying to press his lips together tightly.

ㅤJames shed his shirt, pulling it over his head, his working frame glowing orange around the edges from the light. Alex stepped forward and reached his hands out with the desperate desire to touch him. James was still, allowing Alex to explore his chest and shoulders with his palms, Alex could feel James' quickened pulse under his fingertips. It surprised and excited him, knowing that James was just as keen as he was.

ㅤHolding the bottom of Alex's shirt, James pulled it upward, urging Alex to undress. Alex brushed James' hands away and leaned forward to distract him with a kiss, pushing his tongue to tangle with James', earning him a throaty moan.

ㅤPushing his luck, Alex held either side of James' hips, his trousers hanging low, firm and warm to the touch, and guided him towards the bed. Although James tensed at being handled, he quickly relaxed again as if he willed his body to become pliant.

ㅤAlex always found James' fight against his own instincts interesting; it was as if James' mind and body were on separate pages and often he had to wait for one opinion to overthrow the other. He was especially sensitive when it came to physical vulnerability. It was somewhat thrilling knowing that Alex was being deemed trustworthy enough in that scenario to win.

ㅤSpurred on by that knowledge, Alex pushed James onto his back onto the bed and quickly climbed on top. He gave James a moment to recover his bearings and made sure it was okay to continue before descending and retaking his lips once again. James responded enthusiastically, his hands snaking down to Alex's arse to pull him down between his legs, the friction made Alex hiss with the unexpected pleasure. James was just as hard as he was through the thin cotton material.

ㅤ"Fuck."

ㅤJames bit Alex's lower lip in what was probably agreement, his hands moving up Alex's spine over skin so sensitive that Alex shivered. Alex once again felt James playing with the hem of his shirt, trying to push it upward.

ㅤAlex shifted his weight to one elbow and used the other to hold down James' forearm, stopping the attempt. The scarred skin was softer than he expected but he didn't let himself get distracted.

ㅤ"I want it to stay on." he murmured, looking down at the unbelievably attractive man underneath him. James' pupils were blown in a sensual daze and the red was nearly nonexistent, gold reflected within them from the lamp, his lips parted with a wet shine. Alex let go of James' arm to trace the lower lip with his fingers and James caught his thumb between his teeth, biting it softly. Swallowing roughly, Alex pushed it in further and James sucked on it, his gaze molten.