XIV

"This way!"

"This way!"

ㅤJames hurried after the maids through the never ending corridor, as fast as his small legs allowed him, the smoke choking him from the inside. His lungs burned heavy in his chest. He fell to the carpet, coughing up black phlegm, his consciousness slipping. He couldn't even hear the maids call out for him.

ㅤThey ran back to get him, one picking him up to carry him. His arm hurt so much he thought he was going to die.

ㅤ"But mum... dad..." he tried to protest, his throat raw and weak.

ㅤThey ignored his words, their faces horrified. Despite their own injuries, they focused all their desperation in keeping him safe, even as the palace crumpled and caved around them.

ㅤ"Eris..."

ㅤ"We have her." the maid carrying him told him, "I'm sorry, but she is all we can leave you with."

ㅤJames heard shouting from behind them, the stomping of heavy armour rattling in his head. Terror struck him.

ㅤ"Shit!" one of the maids cried.

ㅤThe woman carrying him looked down at his face, a painfully troubled frown lining her face.

ㅤ"Take him." she said, passing James to another. "I'll do my best to stall them."

ㅤ"No, you can't," James insisted, "come with us!"

ㅤThe maid only spared him one last smile before running back the way they came, towards the flames and soldiers.

ㅤJames did nothing but listen in horror as her piercing screams started behind them.

➵ ➵ ➵ ➵

"Why do knights actually kill people with red eyes?" Fletcher asked Alex.

ㅤFletcher had become very interested in the topic after noticing James' that morning.

ㅤUnlike the day before, James sat in the back whilst the other two sat on the bench in front. He thought it would have been more relaxing away from Alex, but the suspension was worse back there and James' bones began to feel tired from the bumpy abuse.

ㅤ"We're possessed by demons." James reminded him in a grumble.

ㅤFletcher scoffed. "Like I believe that. The entire Ankaid royal family had red eyes before His Majesty King Fabian came along. Would His Majesty accuse his family of being demons?"

ㅤ"It's..." Alex struggled to find the right words, "I'm not sure how involved His Majesty was in that legislation. It might have been beyond him."

ㅤ"Well, that law did start from the Ankaid royal court." James informed them. "Fabian always pushed the issue, right at the start of his reign."

ㅤAlex looked at him from the side of his eye. "Is that so?"

ㅤ"Maybe His Majesty was traumatised." Fletcher suggested.