XV

James stood proud, panting heavily with a grin on his face

James stood proud, panting heavily with a grin on his face. His wooden blade trembled at Fabian's throat, his small frame weak from the exertion.

ㅤFabian sat in the dirt, aiming a grievous glare his way.

ㅤ"Julian, well done!"

ㅤJames dropped the sword to the ground, excited to see his dad and giddy from victory.

ㅤ"Dad, you were watching?"

ㅤJames ran up to his father, who stood in the shade of the loggia bordering the training grounds, a few other men standing with him. James had been concentrating too hard on his fight to have noticed they'd had an audience, but was thrilled they got to witness him win.

ㅤ"Fabian, too," his dad smiled, "you're both incredibly talented. I'm very lucky."

ㅤHis brother was a couple of years older than him and it was evident in their difference in height and strength. They were close enough in age to be training partners, but too far apart for James to have an easy time winning. He lost more often than succeeding.

ㅤ"My shoe came undone." Fabian claimed as he stood and brushed dust off his legs, "I got unlucky."

ㅤJames ignored the blatant lie, too interested in his father's company.

ㅤ"Who are they?" he asked.

ㅤOne man in particular stepped forward and offered him a short bow, his black hair falling onto his forehead as he did so.

ㅤ"I'm pleased to meet Your Royal Highness Prince Julian, I'm Duke Chamberlain."

ㅤJames searched his brain. "Ah! Drykas territory right?"

ㅤ"Very good, sire."

ㅤHe glanced at his dad, hoping he was impressed by James' knowledge. James studied hard to memorise as many noble houses as he could and he was rewarded with a pat on the head for his efforts.

ㅤ"It was fun watching you spar, boys." his dad said. "You'll have to excuse us for the time being though, I'll see you at dinner."

ㅤJames watched them walk away, probably on their way to his father's study. One day he'd be old enough to be allowed to go in there with them, giving his own input. Perhaps he could even be in charge one day, if he gathered enough support. For now, it was too early to tell.

ㅤ"Don't get too cocky." Fabian sneered, coming to stand next to him.

ㅤ"I won, fair and square."

ㅤFabian shook his head, James could tell he was trying to keep his explosive anger in check.

ㅤ"You're an idiot," his brother growled, "you have no idea why those men are here, do you?"

ㅤJames stared up at him. He didn't know, but he didn't think Fabian would either. Except, Fabian suddenly had a smug grin on his face.