LXXIII

Thomas kneaded his ankle, pushing his thumbs into the rubbery swollen flesh

Thomas kneaded his ankle, pushing his thumbs into the rubbery swollen flesh. He'd hoped easing out the tension would take the painful edge off. It hadn't.

ㅤNo one was paying attention to him at the Drykas stable post. The fit men rushed the injured to the infirmary in order of most life-threatening. Fletcher's wound wasn't considered as dangerous so Thomas sat guard over him outside. He couldn't move the scholar himself.

ㅤIt could almost be mistaken as peaceful slumber. Fletcher's chest raised and fell slowly, metronomically, his little breaths soundless. His skin was plaid, sweat casting a light sheen across his face, but he wasn't restless in his sleep. The snapped arrow still stuck out of his face.

ㅤThomas' heart broke. Fletcher was just a kid.

ㅤAlex and James returned, their tall statures looming from across the courtyard. Their combined presence would've been an oppressive one if Thomas hadn't already fostered friendship with the two men. With Alex's frightening sternness and James' arrogant emotionless gaze, the other soldiers skirted around them uneasily.

ㅤThomas stood, forgoing his sprain.

ㅤ"Help me move Fletcher," he requested.

ㅤAlex did so immediately, delicately lifting Fletcher into his arms and hugging him close. Where other superiors would have hesitated, Alex didn't.

ㅤThe care and regard that Alex had for his inferiors was why Thomas respected no other leader more. Thomas had always believed in judging people's character for himself, dismissing the rumours and chatter. Considering the ruin and social death of his own family, Thomas was strict on that philosophy. After coming this far with Alex, he was glad he'd never fallen for the lies.

ㅤ"And how's your injury?" Alex asked.

ㅤ"It'll heal in a day," Thomas fibbed. "Just... don't tell Fletcher. No matter what."

ㅤ"He won't appreciate being lied to."

ㅤ"Well, he won't find out, will he?"

ㅤThomas warily looked at James. James didn't grace him with a response— which meant he would behave according to his whims. It was the best Thomas could hope for.

ㅤ"Lord Alexander, Sir Thomas."

ㅤThomas turned around. A soldier in ceremonial dress, his cape a vibrant blue, stood by them. He wasn't someone Thomas recognised.

ㅤ"His Grace, Duke Chamberlain demands your audience immediately. You must withdraw from any duties to do so."

ㅤ"Are you joking, right now?"

ㅤThe soldier blinked in surprise. James grinned.

ㅤ"Sir Thomas—"

ㅤ"No. No, this is ridiculous. Withdraw from our duties to do so? We're attending to our injured right now. Your general can wait a few more minutes."