LVI

Fletcher hadn't actually met a Talumni mercenary until now

Fletcher hadn't actually met a Talumni mercenary until now. He'd researched them at one point, just as a casual interest, but it seemed that his fascination had persisted.

ㅤHe made the most of this opportunity by conversing with them, asking them all sorts of questions and writing the answers in his notebook. His language skills were rusty but the burly men had applauded him for trying, humouring his broken grammar.

ㅤTheir countries were so different it was hard to believe that they were right next to each other. But the Talumni's culture clearly influenced their values too; they seemed a lot more free-spirited compared to the Khearians, more opinionated. He enjoyed listening to their unsolicited thoughts.

ㅤHe assisted them in treating the injured, straining his weak muscles to fetch pails of water from the holy lake. It was a minute's walk away but he reckoned it would heal them faster compared to the muck from a well.

ㅤKnackered, he went to hide behind the inn. The air was warm and he felt sleepy; a nap sounded quite nice.

ㅤHe jumped in surprise when he came across Harrison and Riley there. Riley was sitting on the ground with his knees up, leaning against the wall, whilst Harrison stood by him.

ㅤ"I told you, nothing happened," Riley was saying. "I'm feeling great."

ㅤ"If you tell me you've had enough, we can take you back," Harrison suggested.

ㅤ"Drag me away and I will kill myself."

ㅤIt didn't seem like Harrison took the threat seriously. "You should've gone into theatre."

ㅤRiley kissed his teeth at the comment and ducked his head, rubbing the back of his neck. Seeing him slumped over; isolation and tiredness bleeding from the air around him; it was unlike the Riley that Fletcher had gotten to know.

ㅤHarrison released a deep breath, thinking.

ㅤ"I'll tell King William that he has nothing to worry about," Harrison finally assured him.

ㅤRiley nodded. He stood up, brushing the grass off his legs.

ㅤ"I'd appreciate that."

ㅤIt was then that both Riley and Harrison noticed Fletcher standing there. They tensed at the sight of him.

ㅤFletcher was quick to plaster an innocent grin on his face, prancing up to them like he hadn't heard a word. Riley quickly relaxed, despite Fletcher intruding on their space.

ㅤ"Riley!" he enthused. "What are you doing over here?"

ㅤRiley smiled at him, even if it seemed a little strained. He ruffled Fletcher's hair, possibly trying to distract him from the question, and Fletcher faux glared at him in response.

ㅤ"Riley," Harrison cut in. "Alex will be waiting for you upstairs." It provided Riley with a reasonable escape.

ㅤ"Thank you. See you later, Fletch."