XIII

They did eventually find a place to settle for the night, but it had already long become dark by then

They did eventually find a place to settle for the night, but it had already long become dark by then. This left Alex fumbling around for kindling on his own in the staining black.

ㅤJames pretended to be napping still, even if it was apparent for everyone around him that he was wide awake.

ㅤ"Um, Sir Alex, there's some kindling in these boxes somewhere." Fletcher informed him.

ㅤJames smirked to himself.

ㅤ"I can't see well enough to look around the cart." Alex replied.

ㅤIt was nice to not be the only one in that predicament for once.

ㅤJames then heard a small thud and then Alex muttering; "Ow, shit." In addition to that, James felt some cold water drops tap his skin as the rain hesitated to fall.

ㅤIt was the perfect storm of irony to keep James in high spirits.

ㅤ"It's gonna rain." James warned Alex, his voice laden with humour.

ㅤ"I know." he snapped back.

ㅤ"If we hadn't left the previous carriage behind we'd at least have a roof over our heads." James pressed, knowing full well they had no other choice. The merchant's wagon they'd taken was no more than a horse-pulled cart. There was no shelter.

ㅤ"Well, I can't predict the weather, Jaxon."

ㅤ"It's Jack."

ㅤ"It's bitch, is what it is."

ㅤ"I found some lamp oil." Fletcher interrupted.

ㅤJames listened to the music of Alex stumbling his way back to the cart.

ㅤ"Thanks." Alex said, taking it from Fletcher. "Anyway, what were you even doing out here?"

ㅤ"Well, you've heard of me, right?" Fletcher answered. "I've spent my whole life in Lyechester, so I'm taking time travelling. It's silly that the son of a merchant would only spend time in one city."

ㅤJames caved in to his curiosity. "Why's this dude so famous then? Didn't you say he was some kind of teacher?"

ㅤIt wasn't Alex who replied to him.

ㅤ"I'm not just a professor." Fletcher declared. "I'm a philosopher, a writer, a poet, you name it. If it involves words, I'm famous for it."

ㅤJames rolled his eyes, even if no one would see it.

ㅤ"I don't believe in philosophy. It's drivel."

ㅤ"No, I wouldn't have thought it was something you could manage." Alex piped in. "He was a teenage prodigy and was exempt from compulsory military enrollment because of his intellect." Alex paused, "I suppose you also probably didn't complete your mandatory service, you're just a criminal like that."