VIII

"Fabian

"Fabian..." James parroted in panic, his chest seizing up.

ㅤJames' head had effectively been put into a guillotine, the rope held by people more dangerous than him. The moment he heard that name spill off Alex's lips, it sealed his part in this conspiracy, a plan that was life-threatening to be privy to.

ㅤKilling a royal was no joke.

ㅤAlex's dark eyes bore him down, an oppressive severity weighing the room.

ㅤHis body jerked, instinctively trying to flee. That wouldn't work.

ㅤHe knew he had to plan his next move within seconds to know what to say. His life could end if they develop a single sense of insecurity or doubt in James.

ㅤDenying his identity was no longer an option; if he genuinely convinced them he was an innocent civilian he would be murdered on the spot for simply knowing.

ㅤHe had to proceed as Jay or, at least, not deny it any longer.

ㅤAlex's gaze only became more constricting, with James struggling to take in steady breaths. The knight was slowly tapping a finger on his folded arm, like he was counting down, reading every single thought that came to James' eyes.

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Think.

ㅤThere must be a reason they were picking him, a criminal that they wanted dead anyway, rather than trying to assasinate Fabian themselves. Although an outsider's involvement was a risk to them, it was likely they would kill the one who drew the last arrow for their own safety. It's possible all the players knew this. No one in the know would volunteer with this knowledge.

ㅤIt was pure speculation. But, it's exactly what James would have planned in their stead. He was almost entirely convinced of it.

ㅤDead if he did, dead if he didn't.

ㅤ"The reward is a pardon?" James asked as filler, trying to buy time.

ㅤThe question also served as a weak attempt to bait for information about his client. James could not ask a single thing that could be interpreted as fishing for their identity— he would be dead the moment they thought of him as too nosy.

ㅤAlex purposely blinked. "Yes."

ㅤPredictably, like a true professional, he revealed nothing.

ㅤA pardon simply was not enough leverage for his client to feel secure with.

ㅤ"What's the leverage?" James asked, feeling like this question was okay.

ㅤIt was hard to refrain from making mistakes after his head injuries and being subjected to prolonged hunger. He battled to tow the line.

ㅤAlex tilted his head, clearly still absorbing as much information from James' face as possible. Those endless guileful eyes like voids made him feel more naked than he was, like Alex's gaze could slither under his skin.