XXVII

Even if Thomas didn't ask the question out loud, Alex could still see it in his unimpressed stare

ㅤ"You wouldn't have to be working double shifts if you hadn't enabled Riley's havoc." Alex said.

ㅤ"I haven't seen my family in weeks." Thomas informed him, his expression dead. "My daughter won't even recognise my face."

ㅤAlex remained unmoved. "Right now, you're married to your job. You organised the wedding, so don't get upset with the priest."

ㅤThomas didn't reply, standing guard at James' door, but the question still remained hovering over their heads. Red light poured in from the windows, the sun clawing to stay in the sky and drawing blood in the process as the evening marched onwards. It left the marble corridors in a stark contrast of black shadows and a dark rouge shine; a bird flew past and it cast a large darkened flicker across their faces.

ㅤ"He wants to talk to me." Alex answered, at last.

ㅤ"This late in the evening?"

ㅤ"Apparently so."

ㅤEven if Thomas didn't let the judgement show on his face, it was obvious to Alex. He knew Thomas well enough to fill in the gaps.

ㅤAlex sighed. "Permission to express your opinion is granted."

ㅤ"He's a psycho," Thomas murmured, "a charming one at that."

ㅤ"It does seem like he grew on you," Alex remarked.

ㅤ"That's why I think he's so dangerous." Thomas' gaze held no hint of humour. "He's the kind of man that would stab you and then make you want to laugh it off. It only feels wrong in retrospect."

ㅤ"I'm careful."

ㅤ"I'm sure you are, Your Lordship," Thomas agreed with a nod.

ㅤThere was nothing more to be said, so Alex rapped his knuckles against the door and after a moment of silence the door suddenly swung open.

ㅤ"I half-thought you wouldn't show," James laughed, leaning against the doorframe.

ㅤAlex fought to keep his expression neutral, James was shirtless with only a towel sitting over his shoulders, his hair dripping beads of water onto his chest which rolled down the valleys of his muscles. Alex was highly aware he was being watched by both men.

ㅤ"I almost didn't," Alex confessed, pushing his way past James so that he could escape Thomas' judgemental stare.

ㅤHe heard the door snip to a close behind him and he looked around. The room was surprisingly tidy, like James hadn't spent much time in it, but Alex wasn't sure what else James could do with his time. Alex noticed two empty glasses and a bottle of wine placed on the table that separated the sofas.

ㅤ"Did you have a guest?" Alex asked.

ㅤ"Nope, that's for us."

ㅤThe reply came from right next to him and Alex startled, seeing James hovering so closely. He hadn't heard the man move at all. If James noticed he'd surprised him, he didn't outwardly acknowledge it.