LXV

"The way we live isn't normal

"The way we live isn't normal. You realise that, right?"

ㅤJames didn't grace his mentor with a response. He let one of his legs dangle off the end of the wagon, watching the ground move below his foot. On a hot day like this, it was a relief that a merchant had allowed them to catch a lift in the back. With his eyes closed, he basked in the feeling of the sun warming his face, the birds chirping happily.

ㅤ"Drifting from place to place..." his mentor continued. "People aren't supposed to live like that. It's not good for the soul."

ㅤJames snorted. "I don't think either of us have one of those at this point. You feeling old, gramps?"

ㅤWhen James looked back, tucking his shoulder-length hair behind his ear, his mentor had a sour twist to his lips. It only just dawned upon James that his mentor wouldn't stay the same forever. His ageing face appeared haggard and weary, whilst grey hairs peppered around his temples, and his knuckles were knurled and knobbly. Time was punishing him.

ㅤ"Sometimes I think I've done you a grave disservice," he said.

ㅤJames frowned, a panicked annoyance rising in his throat. The words had struck him heavily. "Don't say that. How can you say that? You saved me."

ㅤHis mentor lowered his gaze.

ㅤJames pulled his leg back up, bowing his head in an attempt to regain eye contact. The man didn't grant him even that much.

ㅤ"You saved me," James repeated.

ㅤHis mentor huffed in bitter laughter. "Did I?"

ㅤ"Yes."

ㅤHis mentor's smile was no less contrite. "I've ruined you. I'm sorry for that. You might not understand now, but one day you'll realise how much I've wronged you. Don't ever forgive me, boy."

ㅤHolding his sharp-edged tongue, James kept on glaring. His mentor's sentiments had offended him deeply. They were wounding.

ㅤThe carriage creaked and swayed over bumps in the dirt road, the merchant's goods rattling inside crates. Even though it hurt, his tense body thudding into hard wood with each jolt, he liked being there, drifting with his mentor. His aching bones were fine. Something like a townhouse bodying one place wouldn't suit him. His home was the entire country, the company he kept.

ㅤ"You should sleep some more," James finally said. "The fatigue is making you talk nonsense."

ㅤHis mentor didn't do so. They didn't speak. The rest of their journey was spent in silence.

➵ ➵ ➵ ➵

Mererid lingered close to Riley as they gathered in the duke's office. Thomas was already there, breathing down the duke's shoulder at his desk. Fletcher was still absent, sulking, and they'd sent Yufus up to the guest room to take care of him.