XLIV

As they descended the terrain on their horses, the capital of Korcaster came into view

As they descended the terrain on their horses, the capital of Korcaster came into view. The city rose triangularly in height with the Theos palace taking the centre as a tallest point, the buildings tapering off and shortening as they spread away.

ㅤBehind, a long mountain bodied on the plane, like a beast, lumpy and solid with sharp edges, forcing through clouds like claws. The peaks spiked upward like an offensively crude and natural crown, even the tallest of buildings hugged the ground, bowing in fear. Despite its size, it was greying, fading into the sky, lying in wait.

ㅤFrom James' memory, he could recall the mountain's solid stone colour, without vegetation, whilst the land beneath was a vibrant green, fertile and rich. He longed to see those views again.

ㅤ"I didn't have the proper tools for the eyedrops," he told Alex. "So, my eyes may be brown enough to avoid being fucking murdered, but they're still chestnutty."

ㅤIn truth, they hurt, a stinging pain. He couldn't have finely blended the ingredients together in the night, without the proper tools, so he'd scratched his eyes as he'd rubbed the nasty gritty paste into them.

ㅤAlex glanced at him. "I'll check them myself in a moment."

ㅤ"You don't need an excuse to look into my eyes," James joked, just because he wanted to push his misery away.

ㅤAlex shook his head, clearly deeming the remark unworthy of response.

ㅤJames regarded the other men, evaluating their confidence. Riley and Thomas seemed fine enough, but Fletcher's horse trudged along just as tiredly as Fletcher looked, dark bags sagging under his eyes. Unlike his age of twenty, he looked a decade older. He gazed upon Korcaster with terror paling his dreaded face.

ㅤ"You don't have to do this if you don't think you can manage," James said to the scholar, "it'll actually be more dangerous for you to do this unconfidently and botch it up, than for us to take some time to rethink our strategy."

ㅤFletcher was needed because, as a renowned scholar, he had an excuse for wishing to see the financial reports of politicians. Fletcher himself had supposedly written much about the relationship of money and politics, he would earn no suspicion for his interest. But, if Fletcher seemed too nervous, that safe perception of him could change.

ㅤ"That isn't your call to make, James," Alex cut in.

ㅤJames ignored him. "If I was given a few days, I might be able to figure out how to sneak in there and steal the documents by myself."

ㅤ"James," Alex hissed.

ㅤFletcher smiled warily. "I appreciate it, but the current plan is so much safer. You'd have no excuse if caught. I can do this."

ㅤJames wasn't entirely convinced but, with another glance around, it seemed none of the other men appreciated his suggestion either. If this kingdom was good at one thing, it was beating their knights into unconditional obedience. "If you say so."